Tuesday, April 18, 2006

“I do believe it’s true, That there are roads left in both of our shoes, If the silence takes you, Then I hope it takes me too”
-Soul Meets Body, Death Cab for Cutie

The Death Cab/Franz Ferdinand show that I went to with Dan and Carrie was great. Franz is a much better band when you’re on the floor instead of in the stands like the last time. Although I
must say that I did dance more last time I saw them since Dirk and Nayeli are bigger Franz fans and both love to dance, but we still had fun.

Franz mixed up their setlist from the last time they were here, playing some different tunes and switching up the batting order a bit. Alex Kapranos is still handsome in an ugly way. They seemed to plow right through it and were off the stage in a little over an hour. I don’t have any complaints about the band or songs they did/didn’t play, but I will complain about the crowd. The problem with all ages shows is that there are underage kids like the couple of 16 year olds in front of us who made out for ¾ of the concert. We shook our heads in disgust. I also shoved some people which, as you know, shows I had a good time. I took some pics and video, but since we were so close to the speakers, it sounds a bit distorted but you get the idea. Here’s “Do You Want To”-



“Cause you’re the only song I want to hear, A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere”

Admittedly, I am not a Death Cab for Cutie fan. I can appreciate them, but I don’t love them. If Franz hadn’t been playing then I wouldn’t have bothered. They have their songs that I like but I found my mind wandering during some of their songs, thinking about what I was going to eat when I got home, what I was going to wear today, and how it’s possible that I’ll end up seeing Franz Ferdinand in Japan at the Fuji Rock Festival. Death Cab played a longer set, and had a more elaborate stage set-up with little houses. I kept
waiting for someone to pop out of them, which would have been entertaining as I thought about what to eat. At one point I realized that the fire alarm was going off and emergency lights around the arena were flashing. I had just thought the alarm was some sort of musical accoutrement. It seemed to bother the band, as I suppose it would, but you could hardly hear it over the music. Dan, Carrie-Anne, and I started making jokes that we were going to be trapped in the burning Ricoh Coliseum. I was mad that if we were to suffocate to death, I didn’t even know the name of the song the band was playing. Meh. Here’s another Franz video of "Michael", which is still in the process of being uploaded, so it may not work for a bit. But you can watch it here when it's good and ready.


I also managed to escape without purchasing anything which is a rare occasion. The Franz shirts were mildly ugly, it was the same selection of shirts that they had at their October show, and the lines were too long. The Death Cab shirts were nice, but since I don’t care that much for them, it would have been blasphemy to wear one. I just tell myself that I really don’t need another concert t-shirt (although I secretly don’t believe myself).

“So they may have a chance of finding a placewhere they’re far more suited than here”

I haven’t accomplished anything at work today, other than finish uploading some pictures and videos, look for flights to Japan so Shane can visit Eve and I, enter contests, read emails, update this beast, and try to get "Soul Meets Body" out of my head. So basically a typical day in my life.

“Cause you’re the only song I want to hear”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home