Thursday, April 06, 2006

"Here it comes the breeze, That´ll blow away, All your reason & your sin"
-La Breeze, Simian

It’s book report time! Since I’m on a mission to polish off as many books as I can before heading off to Japan, I’ve ended up reading several good books, in between the long and treacherous A Confederacy of Dunces which I have been reading off and on for approximately 102 days. So here is a book that I recommend and I know not everyone will like, but hear me out:

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach.

You too can be called “morbid” and “disgusting” by a woman on the streetcar for reading it. Actually she may have called me “morbidly disgusting” but its all semantics.

The book is about what you think it’s about: dead bodies. Bodies of people who have donated themselves to science for organ harvesting, practice facelifts, as crash test dummies, and as decaying flesh in a corpse farm so CSI’s can accurately place times of death on murder victims. It’s really interesting, and actually, laugh out loud funny. The least you can do is amuse others while you laugh out loud while reading a book about corpses. It’s also gives insight to people who are never thought to be crazy, but actually are, like Thomas Edison, who thought that our memories were controlled by little people who live in our brain and in order for us to recall a past event, we had to wait until those little people returned to the helm as they worked in some sort of shift work schedule.

I did skip the parts about bodies in plane crashes since:
A) I don’t like to fly. I’m not afraid to, but seeing as how I’ll be on a plane in some 30 odd (Foot of Grunts ??) days, I thought it best to skip or I’ll start reliving scenes from Alive. I would just rather get there by boat, mule, or roller skates. Or by a mule wearing roller skates on a boat.
B) At the exact moment I turned to the plane crash chapter, my dad was flying to Florida.

But a very good book indeed.


"So do your best to run away "

I applied for my visa this week and get to pick it up on Monday, and I also got offered a job in Japan to be an assistant language teacher. Working half-assed and applying to random jobs on the internet- qualified or not- pays off. Although I think the job is too much of a commute and may very well end up costing me more to get to this place called Tomioka than I would actually make, but it is on a beach on the Pacific. Either way, it’s good to know that I have some translatable skills for teaching English in Japan. Especially since I love children and all (Must stop being sarcastic- Japanese won’t understand).

I think it’s pretty hilarious to think of me teaching English to children. As you own father said, “You? Teach English? To kids? Will they let you?” My dad thinks I would throw away any lesson plan and teach children what music to listen to and what movies to watch. “Today boy and girls, we are going to learn about the importance of Joe Strummer and the meaning of ‘Play Out of Control! Take off your pants!’”

In other music-related, sweet news, Eve and I are aiming to attend the fabulous
Fuji Rock Festival in Nagano at the end of July. I’m crossing my fingers to see Scissor Sisters, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The Hives, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. And of course, old standbys like Franz Ferdinand and Broken Social Scene are a plus.

I also suggest that we all start our own National Playlist via email or blog comments. Pitches anyone? Anything to keep me from working.

"You can´t hide, Theres no place to hide"

Top 5 Songs Lodged in my Head as I Toil Away at Work:

Le Le Low- Hot Hot Heat
Pop Muzik- M
O Green World- Gorillaz
Moody Monday- Damien Rice
Less is More- Joss Stone


"Here comes the breeze"

1 Comments:

At 2:53 p.m., April 07, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

Hee hee, being a teacher is fun. I fully intend to have "School of Rock Fridays" when I'm a music teacher. In which we will reporduce the chart tracing the history of rock from that excellent excellent film. Have fun!

Oh and PS how upset are you you won't be around for BSS/Bloc Party/Feist on Toronto Island in June?...It would be so fun if you weren't all in foreign countries...boohoo :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home