Thursday, March 23, 2006

“Give me strength, reserve control, Give me heart and give me soul”
-Politik, Coldplay

Coldplay, Coldplay, Coldplay. A band after my own heart. I have the feeling that they’re climbing the ranks of my musical love and are vast approaching the upper echelons of my musical taste, firmly seated behind U2 and The Clash.

Their show last night at the ACC was great. They were actually filming the concert for an upcoming live DVD which was a special treat. I only recorded some clips of songs since I’ll be able to buy the DVD when it comes out, but I will upload them and stick them on my blog at some point this weekend. Richard Ashcroft was the opener and he was damn good too- he especially gets props for playing songs from The Verve from which he was a part of.

“Wounds that heal and cracks that fix, Tell me your own politik”

Coldplay was on for about an hour and 30, again since I’ve very spoiled by U2 concert-going, it seemed a tad short. It was pretty much the same show that I saw in Paris back in Aught 5. As a big fan of their last CD, X&Y, I enjoyed “White Shadows,” “Square One,” “Fix You” and “Speed of Sound,” and one of my favourites, “Trouble.” Also an awesome Johnny Cash “Ring of Fire” cover which rivaled The Who cover “My Generation” Oasis ended their show with on Monday night. Coldplay definitely puts on a good show, although I still feel that U2’s live show eclipses them, all Bono biases aside. I went to the show with my parents (yes, they’re in their 50’s and are cool) who are Coldplay fans, but they still said the various U2 shows they have seen are better. Coldplay are great performers, but I’m not at the “I’m shelling out $191 to see them…twice” point yet.

“Give me one 'cause one is best”

And women who think Chris Martin is hot (not me as he does not fit the “not too meaty, not too firm” Sarsgaard-esque bill) were in a for a treat last night as he proclaimed he was too sweaty to continue so he changed into another shirt that was exactly the same as the one he was wearing on stage. Flashbulbs went off and I’ve sure there are Chris Martin topless pictures everywhere. I must say that the man likes to jump up and down and really gets into the music, as does the entire band, which serves as a nice contrast to the lacklustre performance the Arctic Monkeys gave Monday.

“Give me peace of mind and trust, Don't forget the rest us”

And because I have nothing more intelligent to say about the show, I would also like to state that as yesterday was my faux birthday, or my very merry un-birthday, as dictated by my birthday day off at work (March 29= too close to deadlines for me to have it off), I had requested a cake from my parents. A cake with pigs or dinosaurs. What I got was a Spongebob Squarepants cake, which was also to my liking. I took its picture, so I will post it here if you don’t believe me. The woman at the bakery started laughing when my mom placed the order to have the cake say, “Happy 24th Birthday Rachel” on it, as she had been thinking I was some demanding 7 year old who wanted a pig cake. At least I can say I’m young at heart. Or just immature.

Here’s the review of the Coldplay concert from the
Toronto Sun to which I agree with.

I didn’t take too many pictures last night since I took a bunch at the Paris concert because I was much closer to the stage, so let’s relive the
memories.

And in honour of the art of linkage, I've added Lauren's blog to my link section where I only list cool people's blogs. It's not like I'm friends with chumps and Lauren always leaves me interesting comments (since none of you other chumps do...and I mean that with love). That and I encourage people I know to start up their own blogs just so I can add them to my page and or create interesting blog names for them.

“In confusion, confidence”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home