Wednesday, March 15, 2006

“And I have no compass, And I have no map, And I have no reasons, No reasons to get back”
-Zooropa, U2

It’s March 15th…beware the Ides of March!

I booked myself a room in a ryokan in Tokyo for a night. A ryokan is a traditional Japanese inn. The one I’m staying at is more along the hostel lines but it just happens to be a futon on tatami mats on the floor with a private bathtub. If you’re interested, here is the poorly translated English website (okay, at least they tried):
http://www.toukaisou.com/
Why did I book it? Because there’s a Denny’s, a 7-11, and several donut shops around the corner. It’s also close to this zoo, some museums, and a temple I want to go to. I’m basically only there for a day and a half by the time I meet up with Eve and Aline (and possibly another night too depending on train schedules).

“And I have no religion, And I don't know what's what, And I don't know the limit, The limit of what we've got”

In other interesting news: a random man on the street told me I had very nice calves. Since I was wearing a skirt, I assumed he was referring to my legs and not the cows I was walking behind me…no I didn’t have any cows with me, so I thanked the man and took it as a good sign that the crazies were re-emerging on Church street for the coming of spring or the vernal equinox, depending on what you prefer. I just like saying vernal equinox. Especially in the “Obnoxious Man Voice.” Also “Tuborg” I fun to say so I’ll add it to the list of “Bail Out!”, “Be Bop!”, “ColossimoPANTS!”, and the usual repertoire of “make Out with Me!”, “Play Out of Control,” and the responding, “Take off your pants!”

“She's gonna dream up The world she wants to live in, She's gonna dream out loud”

I’m also entertaining new titles for a travel blog about my adventures in Japan. I decided that co-workers, family, and other random professionals would lose some respect for me by reading this blog, so I’ll need another one. The only requirement is that it not have the word “experience” in the title. So far the contenders are:

Fukushima, Mon Amour- named after a movie I hate called Hiroshima Mon Amour (kiss my ass Barbara Gabriel!)
Postcards from Japan- which speaks to my love of mail and also reference that horrible movie Postcards from the Edge…which in itself is another good blog title which can be recycled upon subsequent trips.
I Heart Japan- which could backfire if I do not heart Japan at all

And since I already have one U2-themed title (my blog name comes from one of my fave U2 songs, “If You Wear That Velvet Dress):
The Unforgettable Fire
Faraway, So Close

And that’s all I could come up with. I’m really good at coming up with blog names for other people. Example: for the Mexican= “No Habla Espanol” and for Mairin= “The Regina Monologues”. I amuse even myself sometimes.

And this random company keeps sending me these email birthday cards today…and today is not my birthday.

“Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright, Uncertainty can be a guiding light

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home