Tuesday, February 28, 2006

“You never come home at night because you're out romancing.I wish you bring some of your love home to me. But my girl wants to party all the time”
-Party All the Time, Eddie Murphy & Rick James

I just keep thinking about this song. I like to imagine it was conceived thusly once upon a time:

Rick James: What does your girl like to do?
Eddie Murphy: My girl likes to party all the time…party all the time.

And from there, it was set to music. The End. And for the record, the best memory I have of this song is when Dirk, Mairin and I followed up our screening of the Hitler drama Downfall with beer at Hooters in Ottawa. The music playing was a mix of ‘80’s hits. I made the famous comment, “What would make this evening ever better is ‘Party All the Time’” when lo and behold, minutes later, the synthesizer kicked in and my girl started to party all the time.








“I've seen you in clubs just hanging out and dancing

When was the last time you had a conversation with a man with a mustache? This is what I was pondering this morning as I searched the streets from the window of my streetcar for a mustachioed man. I saw men with a variety of beards, but no stand alone mustaches. Of course, every time I think of mustaches image of Jack Layton, Clark Gable, and Mr. Magnum PI himself, Tom Selleck circa 1985, as well as my Dad in the late ‘80s come to mind. I’m going to keep looking for men with mustaches this week. Just like my search for brown cars. I haven’t seen an actual brown car in months. Maybe all the men with mustaches have them. Or maybe they’re all concentrated in a single area, the way Heidi says Spain is haven to the mulleted kind and you’re most likely to see a man wearing denim cut-off shorts in the summer in Thorold a la Tobias Funke and his “never nude” affliction (that’s my sweet "Arrested Development" reference of the day).

Listening to the CBC National Playlist debate, basking in the warm sun though my window, and eating gummy hearts. I had a nice, fun, and upbeat email from Eve waiting for me this morning in my inbox which is one blessing the time difference brings. It seems as though we are going to be digging through abandoned bikes in the bike cemeteries in Fukushima to find ourselves new bikes in May. After all, I do have experience digging in cemeteries.

It’s the Stars concert tomorrow with Sofia and Dirk. The website/ticket says “Absolutely no cameras or recording devices of any kind” so we’ll see where that leaves me with getting some video of it. I do have old Stars pictures from their show in Ottawa in April that Nat, Mairin, Dirk and Shane and I attended, so I’m not that upset if this show doesn’t yield pictures. And the "Amazing Race" is on tonight which always gives me ideas for new places to travel to. And I hear that they’re visiting Japan this season, so perhaps something will come of this. If not, I can live vicariously through Rusty as he plans his ‘round the world voyage (with a stop in Japan of course). And yes Kate, I’ll tell him you love him.

“You give your number to every man you see”

Top 5 Playlist Songs of the Day to Listen to When Searching for Mustaches or Songs that For One Reason or Another Remind Me of Mustaches (and just provide a better soundtrack for my search):

Love Stinks- J. Geils Band
Hungry Eyes- Patrick Swayze
Electric Barbarella- Duran Duran
Queer- Garbage
Party All the Time- Eddie Murphy (and Rick James): bonus points because I believe that Eddie Murphy may have had a mustache at the time this song was conceived…that and My Girl Wants to Party All the Time

Mmmmmm Pancake Tuesday...I think McDonalds serves pancakes all day. It was afterall, Jesus' favourite day of the year.

“She likes to party all the time - party all the time”



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home