Monday, March 06, 2006

"You know it's hard out here for a pimp (you ain't knowin), When he tryin to get this money for the rent"
-It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp, Djay f/ Shug (yeah I don't know who/what that is either)

Sigh. The Oscars are over for another year. Although I’m sad I have to wait an entire year to see the little gold men again, at least the end of Oscars ushers in better movies since February was a total cop out- I didn’t go to the cinema AT ALL in February! It’s unheard of for me who managed 6 films in January on top of Eve, Mairin, and Natalie all coming to visit.

As for the show itself which I heckled through in my usual style with Sofia, Sharifa and Sharifa’s friend (debated going to the Fox theatre to watch the show on the big screen but decided that I need people to pay attention to my witty comments) I thought it was decent, if not a tad predictable. I came out on top in my Oscar pool which was, alas, not for money but for pride, respect, and bragging rights, the only 2 wins I missed were doc short and song.

Jon Stewart was good. Loved the opening. Lost me through the show as I became weary of him, only to catch a glimpse of Peter Sarsgaard which piqued my interests again after shouting, “PETER SARSGAARD!” which prompted Sharifa’s friend to say that I was “the weirdest person he’s ever met.” It makes me think he lives a bland life in New York City. And of course, Sofia and I kept busy whistling at Eric Bana. The dude is hot.

I was VERY glad for Reese Witherspoon, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Rachel Weisz winning awards, and Paul Haggis too. I shook my fist at “Academy Award Nominee” Jerk Gyllenhaal several times, mocked the large number of men with mustaches, Ben Stiller was amusing, liked George Clooney’s acceptance speech although I still have a strong distaste for him heightened by the fact that Out of Sight was on Much More Music at least 3 times this weekend, and as usual, enjoyed my favourite part: the In Memoriam reel. Bonus points for my favourite obligatory Oscar shot: Mickey Rooney, proving that he’s still alive. I only see him once a year at the Oscars and you know if they don’t get him on camera, it means he’s dead.
I’m glad Brokeback Mountain lost best picture, since everyday I love it less and less, but I didn’t think Crash was that good, and would have preferred the “no chance in Hell” winners to be Capote or Munich.

I heart you:



Just Jared has more pictures of my boyfriends Eric Bana (including dress rehearsal pictures which I often like better anyway) and Peter Sarsgaard... although I can't figure out if Maggie Gyllenhaal's dress has pockets or what.


Ugliest dress- Charlize Theron:

Best Dress- Reese Witherspoon, Uma Thurman (although her face resembled Skeletor):



Death warmed over- David Strathairn:

My award would go to Felicity Huffman for NOT looking like a man as usual and actually looking quite pretty. And there’s lots more photos
here at Yahoo’s Oscar site.

The best quote had to be:

"It's a funny thing about winning an Academy Award. This will always be synonymous with your name from here on end. It will be, Oscar winner George Clooney, sexiest man alive 1997, `Batman,' died today in a freak accident ..." by George Clooney

I love montages as much as the next Sergei Eisenstein but even I thought there were a tad too many, but props for the cowboy montage. And if you were unlucky enough to see the pre-Oscars red carpet countdown, there was an unfortunate montage of apes in cinema. Soon they will run out of things to montage, and like Jon Stewart said, there will have to be a montage to commemorate montages. And as tradition dictates, I taped the ceremony to add it to my collection.

And you have to love the post-Oscar parties where people like Pam Anderson, Mischa Barton, Sienna Miller, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Jennifer Love Hewitt show up. It’s as close to an Oscar as they’ll ever get.

And it was a fitting weekend since I managed to watch Memoris of a Geisha and The Constant Gardener for the second time, as well as Cinderella Man, Chopper, and The Machinist, as well as go out for beer and nachos with Rusty and Sofia.

"That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home