Tuesday, March 14, 2006

“Been given 24 hours, To tie up loose ends, To make amends”
-24, Jem

I am feeling rather pleased with myself today (more so than usual, even). Proving I am not a slave to money, I turned down working until May 26th and instead opted to work until may 5th. Of course, by the time you factor in the cost of changing my plane ticket to a later date, a transit pass for the month, food and other nonsense, and also finding a place to stay since I’ve already sublet my room for May 1st (which means Dan has been nice enough to let me crash on his couch for a week), and what ever else I waste my money on, I wouldn’t even break even. In fact, I think I’d be in the hole. So by bagging off work 3 weeks prematurely, I actually save money.

And since I hadn’t planned on working April 1-May 5th, the extra cash looks like a trip to Thailand for me. Screw saving it. Screw paying back my student loans in December. I’m going to Bangkok! I admit, that’s a little early for that statement, but I blame it on my favourite website, skyauction.com because there you can bid on a one week stay at an all inclusive beach resort and have it cost you only $40. I’m not a fan of the beach, but I’m cheap (not in that way, but in the cheap drunk and thrifty way) and impulsive.


“Run and run and run, Be careful they say”

My worries over ending up alone in Tokyo, crying in a corner, having to eat my shoes because I’m starving because I couldn’t get anywhere with my vast amounts of luggage seem to be more of me exaggerating than anything. At Narita airport where I’m flying into, there is a luggage delivery place that will send my bags on to Fukushima for me so I don’t have to lug them around. So now that that seems to be taken care of, I just need to worry about finding a decent hostel (and I think I found one) and then there’s the whole “I hate strangers and don’t like talking to them” thing. I’ll either starve because I refuse to go into a restaurant to talk to someone or since my hunger and spite for children will probably get the best of me, steal candy from a baby.


“Now I can see What matters to me"

And I feel like complaining: Why aren’t there any good films in theatres? The last new movie I saw was The New World January 30th. The last good movie I saw was Capote and that was back at the end of January. I’ve resorted to seeing movies twice. I actually suggested that Dan and I go see Failure to Launch. I’m getting desperate. I think Dan and I will go to the movies this weekend and see either V for Vendetta which I don’t really care for at all, except to see Stephen Rea, or Thank You for Smoking which opens in limited release. But I’ve seen it already when it was here at the film festival- I sat across from Aaron Eckhart and William H. (“Hey, Bill Macy!”) Macy…off-topic but it was Bill Macy’s birthday yesterday and I sang the “Hey, Bill Macy” song. Again, cool people are born in March.


I digress…and there’s also Ask the Dust which opens in limited on Friday so we might go see that. I read the book (I give it a “meh”) but Colin Farrell is in it, and although I have given him a “meh” lately, he looks clean and well-groomed in the trailer which means Irish Hotness as opposed to Drunken Disease-bag (Yes, I know, although he appears clean, he is and will always be the latter).


“And I can't believe, How I've been wasting my time”

And I’m off on a rambling tangent again. The second of the day. The first was arguing the superiority of The Simpsons over South Park, just like it was 1997 and people cared. I also feel obligated to mention that several production we fund here at work including Where the Truth Lies and C.R.A.Z.Y. won
Genie Awards last night. And I haven’t seen any of the films. I’m so bad at supporting the Canadian film industry.

“Head spinning round No time to sit down"

Since I’ve been working on my list of my Top 100 All-Time Favourite Song list (the second, updated edition since my Dad deleted all my old lists off of the family computer when I went away to school…years of hard work, gone…or as my Dad says, “What do you want with all this crap? You’re wasting your time making lists”). So, I hereby bring this list of the day for your listening pleasure, thus flushing any musical credibility I had down the drain:

Top 5 Songs Found on My iPod that I am Embarrassed to Admit Having (for Non- Entertainment Purposes- ie. "Baby Got Back", Joey Lawrence, etc.) Because I like Them:

867-5309 (Jenny)- Tommy Two-Tone
Beds are Burning- Midnight Oil
Slave 4 U- Britney Spears
It’s My Life- Bon Jovi (Dan can attest to the fact that it was played non-stop the month we were in Italy with school and therefore is attached to fond memories)

And I’ll never live it down:
I Just Want to Live- Good Charlotte ... it's danceable...that's all I got.

And now I’ll cleanse my palette with some Gorillaz and the world will be righted again.


“All that I said, I meant it, I meant it”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home