Thursday, August 18, 2005

“Hey, do you think I’m attractive, Do you think I’m lovely?”
-Loud, Andy Stochansky


Legitimately meeting and conversing with a performer is almost as good as grabbing their ass….almost.


There’s this thing that goes on over the summer in Toronto at Nathan Philips Square called Tasty Thursdays where there’s food and bands. Today was Andy Stochansky. He’s some sort of modern rock alterna singer dude with some more folky slow songs. Example- they play “Stutter” on both Edge 102 and Mix 99.9


“Do you want to get loud? I just want to get loud”


I saw Andy Stochansky play at Zaphod’s in Ottawa back in November with Dirk and Natalie. Like, purposefully went to see him because I had liked his music for a while, as had Dirk, and I’d intro’d Natalie to him. This time however, it was clear that I was the only one who was at all familiar with him since I seemed to be the only one singing along. Granted, it was lunchtime in the city and most people just came to eat. By the end the seats were pretty full. I stood. Who sits at a concert? (See, “Sit down! You’re ruining it for everyone!”)


“Love give me love, yes I really want it”



I bought his new CD (the single is called “Shine.” I actually saw the video on Much this morning) that came with a bonus live CD, which is the real draw. So there was a signing and I talked to him and had him sign my CD for me to add to the collection of autographs and Andy Stochansky CDs (okay not really. I have a burned copy of his last CD but he doesn’t need to know that). I told him I saw him in Ottawa, blah blah blah. Airbrushing does him wonders however. Bags under the eyes galore. My other question is, who does an autograph session without a pen? Had to borrow one. It’s one more concert to add to my list, literally.



“Well do you think I’m a fool? How about you?”


Which leads me in a round about way back to my first statement: It’s nice to actually shake a guy’s hand whose performance you’ve enjoyed and tell them that you’re a fan, but grabbing C-List celebrity ass a la Tom Green in Ottawa makes for a much better story.

You’ve never heard of Andy Stochansky? Then download these:

22 Steps
Stutter
Loud
Everest
Shine
Superman

The other amusing thing about my lunchtime was that the church on Church St. (Metropolitan something or other) had its bells ringing “Bohemian Rhapsody.” It was amusing. I stopped and listened. As did the bum next to me who did interpretive dance.


“Hey do you think it’s a crisis?”


The other tidbit is Steven “Cojo” Cojucaru (of Entertainment Tonight, etc.) needs another kidney. Maybe yours. I hate him, but I secretly have to like him because he’s Canadian.


“Do you find me reactive?”


OVERRATED: Our Lady Peace. I just have this bitter grudge against them since the dawn of time and it comes out every time they release a new album. And they suck.
UNDERRATED: Andy Stochansky. He’s good, not excellent, but he’s worth a lesson and is even better live. More people should find out who he is.

Stochansky word count: 7


“What does it matter anyway if I’m okay?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home