Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Inside and Out

“You're the reason for my laughter and my sorrow, Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow”
-Inside and Out, Feist (quoting the Bee Gees)


Recent TV shows have sparked some interesting debate both at home and work.

The first is the good girls vs. bad girls debate.

The complicated part is deciding which one I am. There is evidence for both categories. I think I’m essentially a good girl who does bad things. I’m a jerk. I hate people. But I love animals. And I can be nice. I don’t wish death and destruction on very many. But has always been my motto that if I’m going to Hell, I’d rather go full out than just squeak by. If you’re there, you may as well have earned it. I’d show up in a bathing suit with some suntan lotion. I think most of us are both good and bad, although I have met pure evil and the nicest of the nice girls. I’m good where and when it counts, but bad when I need to be. I have my fun. I can repent my sins later, like a good Catholic (of which I’m clearly not now as I try to accomplish as many of the 7 deadly sins as I can). That was the debate at work today.


“I ain't no vision, I am the girl,Who loves you inside and out, Backwards and forwards with my heart hanging out”


The other is the whole idea that attraction is purely and scientifically based on scent. I find this one intriguing. The argument is then, that you don’t really choose who you fall in love with but by finding the most appealing scented partner. So when you finally realize that you’re not in love with someone anymore has their scent changed or has someone better walked by? I think it works the same for monkeys. Especially bonobos. Look for a Canadian TV special on this coming your way soon! These are the reasons I love going to work.


"You can't change the way I feel inside"


OVERRATED: “Like a Rolling Stone”- Bob Dylan. Okay, I do enjoy this song and Mr. Dylan. But I’m tired of this song constantly reappearing on Top 100 lists (Rolling Stone’s Greatest Songs, and now a new one voted on by artists). It’s getting as old as seeing “Smells Like Teen Spirit” on the top of the music video lists. It’s not that spectacular.
UNDERRATED: The video for “Reunion” by Stars. It’s somehow exactly as I pictured it should be. Especially the “Plus I always wanted you” line which is my fave. Sigh.


“What are we gonna do if we lose that fire?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home