Wednesday, May 23, 2007

“I'm not going to let stuff get me upset, and i wont let all the little things get me depressed”
-Generator, Holloways

“You, girl. What do you know about a videotape?”

An odd enough question perhaps, as I stepped out of the office this afternoon.

I work in a “colourful” neighbourhood, in between a courier company that some of my co-workers believe is front for a brothel, and a psychic. The question of the day came from said psychic as I was on my way out to Suspect Video (which deserves this delightful note: Just because I happen to be wearing a skirt and looking girly today, doesn’t mean I have wandered into your store by accident, am confused, and do not need to be pointed to your “new Hollywood releases” because I am perusing your shameful Criteron collection).

I digress…

The psychic, an odd Eastern European woman who often comes into my office to use the phone (I don’t ask), asked me to come look at her “videotape.” Normally, I wouldn’t go into someone’s house who so obviously looks like a prime candidate for stuffing me into her oven, but I had nothing better to do. The videotape in question was actually a DVD which wouldn’t play in the DVD player because it was plugged in wrong. As a psychic, I thought this was something she should have known. No problem, I fix it and am on my way. The psychic is obviously impressed with my mad skillz, takes my hand as I think she’s offering me a handshake of thanks, then proceeds to read my palm.

Really.
Having never been to a psychic before because I am cynical, stubborn, and fear that a psychic will try and read my mind to discover my vast vault of secrets, I am also surprisingly superstitious when it comes to tempting fate. She gave me a spontaneously quick palm reading before I even knew what was happening. The gems of wisdom she passed on to me for the summer:

-things will come out in the open and I will be relieved that reaction is not as bad as I expected (okay....)


-“No boyfriend? Good romance happen soon. Patience” (very Yoda)...she also said "Mr. Right in front of you," or "Mister [is] right in front of you."

-what I have been “waiting for” will finally happen (which given her odd English at first made it sound like “I’ll get what’s coming to me” a la comeuppance, karma, etc...but she assured me it was a good thing)

-financial upswing, a trip, and I will be directly involved in a friend’s serious decision (okay, which one of you…) but it will work out favourably

-“good season ahead”

And I am a "nice girl.” So she’s clearly not that good at her job.

Toss in the construction workers whistling at me and a man on the streetcar who offered me an apple, (no I didn’t take it. It was probably full of razorblades), its been an unusual day, leaving me oddly creeped out but upbeat. Still trying to wrap my mind around things and am kind of afriad to go back outside.



“I can get a record player, and a generator. Generate the music that makes you feel better”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home