Tuesday, May 29, 2007

“I wonder why I never wonder why, The easiest things are so hard”
-Unconditional, the Bravery

Last night was The Bravery and The Cinematics show at the Opera House…and also some other band that was a cross between Billy Talent and The Automatic who were of no consequence.

Eve and I primarily went to see The Cinematics, having seen The Bravery 2 years ago, but given my discovery of my newest Scottish heroes a week before they played here last, I was game to see them live. They put on a nice set, even if it meant skipping my favourite song “Rise & Fall.” They were fun to watch and jump around to the crowd seemed into them, even if it was just me, an old dude, a young dude, and a Spanish chick singing along.

And I declare Scotland the new Ireland in terms of hotness.

Franz Ferdinand-ish in looks- and sound- I heart them. Especially the bass player, who in all his hotness was sporting a wedding ring- pretty much the only line I wouldn’t cross.

And like a fool, I didn’t bring my camera, even though we were a foot from the stage.

“I'm accused, I'm an accuser, But nothing's unconditional”

I wasn’t pumped at all for The Bravery although they put on such a decent show in Summer o’ Aught 5, they were worth sticking around for for the $24 ticket price. Only being marginally familiar with their new single (although their new album has positive reviews), I was surprised they pulled off so many songs off their first album. Having 2 albums meant that there was no room for an “An Cat Dubh” cover, sadly. The lead singer lost weight, and, wait for it, is now quasi-hot. Looks aside, it was a good show, although I didn’t feel the energy in the room this time around. 2 years ago, again at the Opera House, the place was packed and sweaty, just the way I like concerts. Last night we had ample room and the crowd wasn’t fully enthused to freak-out potential until “An Honest Mistake” came on half-way through their set. I guess it’s not saying much for a band to return to Toronto two years later and not fill the same venue to sold out capacity again, but clearly Toronto must give them love since they’ll be back in August. Eve preferred them this time around, where I’ll take 2005.

“I've only got myself to blame”


Bottom line: a good show worth the price of admission. And I hope to catch The Cinematics again.

If only The Cinematics would play a show with Franz Ferdinand and The Fratellis, I’d be in Scottish heaven.

And thanks to some mad pulling posters off of lamp post skillz, I now have a lovely set of Kaiser Chiefs posters, which wholly influenced my semi-conscious dream state which involved both the Kaisers and the cat inviting me to an event on Facebook.

We also discovered new, cheap sushi on Yonge St which is tastefully delicious. And did I mention cheap?


"I just want, I just want love, I just want something”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home