Tuesday, February 13, 2007

“Let me not get down, from walking with no-one, and if I stumble from exhaustion”
-Van Occupanther, Midlake

Your playlist of the week, in order of voteworthy awesomeness:

Ruby- Kaiser Chiefs
Africa- Toto
Roscoe- Midlake
Hospital Beds- Cold War Kids
The Well and the Lighthouse- Arcade Fire
No Tomorrow- Orson

Cowbell- Tapes N’ Tapes
Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes- Paul Simon
Ooh La- The Kooks
All us Sinners- Eastborough (featuring the Old Man)


The last 4 are sadly dropped from the list.
You know the drill for new songs.

“They told me I wouldn't, but I found an answer”

Last night’s Midlake’s show at Lee’s Palace was good. It took them a while to warm up- as in, there was no acknowledgment that the crowd was even there until halfway through the set. The crowd was really good- lots of cheers from the packed floor. The Chirs Martin-esque frontman sounded fantastic, much more depth than on the album. They played for a surprising 80 minutes. The only odd point was this video projection they had going on at the back of the stage which featured random made-for-tv movie clips which was incredibly distracting. And they played in almost total darkness which I am guess was so the projection screen could be seen. All in all, well worth the $12 and would jump to see them again. Clear highlights were “Roscoe,” “Yougn Bride” and “Van Occupanther” as well as a new song whose title is something like “Children of the Corn.” I took a picture but am inherently lazy and will eventually upload it to sate your curiosity.

And for those of you who understand this sentence: the singer looks like "The Bad Chris" from Carleton film. Y'know, the Guy Maddin obsessed one with the borderline snuff film collection who once invited me to his house for tea....and I know this sentence in itself is an oxymoron since both Chris' are technically bad.

“Let me not be too consumed with this world”

And in case you were wondering, Mondays at the Dance Cave are about 5 people dressed in head to toe black dancing to Tiffany’s “I think We’re Alone Now.” Shudder. It looks like a Patrick Watson show is on tap for Friday night, so I’ll give into my concert addiction in favour of the Cave.


“Sometimes I want to go home and stay out of sight for a long time”

8 Comments:

At 10:54 a.m., February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This week's pick from me:
"Ice Age" by Hawksley Workman.
Why? Well, it's been ridiculously frigid 'round these parts for going on WAY too long now, my office/classrooms are ILLEGALLY cold (serisouly , the union is involved), and we're expecting an addition wollop of snow today/night. Aaaaand it's certainly the season to be cuddling up in the glow of the TV, making/eatin glots of spicy food/soup (man I love soup), and this song celebrates it with all the tongue-in-cheek innuendo that only the Hawk can pull off without sounding too campy. ANNNNND for good measure, I like "Ice Age" because I'm against this whole "global warming is the new racism" thing our mainstream media has jumped on - seriously, David suzuki has been saying what Gore did for like, decades, people. Anyway, it's a great song for the times and for a chilly February 14th!

And for good measure, I also pitch Ron Sexsmith's "Idiot Boy" as heard arranged for Ron and woodwing quartet (bassoon included) because I saw it world premiered at the CBC this past Saturday AM. It should be up on the CBC website somewhere this week,

Peace and cinnamon heart, y'all.

 
At 1:06 p.m., February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since my CD collection consists of the Columbia House 1994 collection, I hesitate to submit picks to the play list for fear of being ripped apart by you rabid dogs of trendy tunes. However, I ventured into Quebec this weekend and stumbled upon the Black Sheep Inn...a veritable mecca for hip glasses-wearing, value village wearing, hand clapping youngens, and heard this crazy band which I believe is just up West-elhoff's alley.

My pick:

Snow Song by Habitat, this crazy, zaney "are they really serious or is this a joke" duo from Guelph. Download it here:
http://myspace.com/habitation

It's truly so bad it's good.

Kate

 
At 1:54 p.m., February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to suggest a pair, one of which I think has next-to-no chance.

The longshot is "What Goes Around.../...Comes Around" by Justin Timberlake. Why such a sugary selection you ask? Because I re-watched the episode of Love Monkey the other night where Tom is reminded of the virtues of packaging. If my mood were a movie it would be called 'How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Pop Music'. Sure, it sounds an awful lot like "Cry Me a River", but I think the arrangement and the hook of this tune beat that one hands down...even if it does sound like he's talking about Britney again (listen to those lyrics). For full effect, look up the live performance of this song on SNL.

Also, I'm pitching this song just to get a rise out of Shane.

On the more legit front, I'm gonna pitch Lily Allen's "LDN". Much like Miss Cinamon, I too am freezing at work. After wishing for windows for five years, I get 'em and promptly regret 'em. That said, the horns that kick this song off make me think of summer - they sound like descendents of the horns in "Ring of Fire". What better escape from wind chills and road salt, than imagining riding around London on a bike?

Sorry for the ramble, enjoy!
-Ryan

 
At 2:17 p.m., February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, props to Kate for putting herself out there with the lot of us, 'cause we are truely picky bitches when it comes to music-BRAVO! My pick of the Valentine's week is "Everythings' Just Wonderful" by Lily Allen, and my reasons are twofold...
Reason the 1st-I appreciate the blatant irony, and her social criticism in the face of St. V's day;
Reason the 2nd-when I heard it I instantly felt inspired to throw an impromptu dance party in the hall a la Nat and Rach style circa 2005. I suggest everyone do the same. It'll warm you up!

 
At 3:03 p.m., February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

since i totally noobed out by not suggesting anything last week, i feel compelled to suggest really profound things this week.

but upon closer inspection that's not going to happen. so my picks are:

'in an aeroplane over the sea', an oldie-but-a-goodie by neutral milk hotel (easily downloadable)

and

'the dugout' by ladyhawk (go to http://radio3.cbc.ca/)

these songs are good for walking to work and from work respectively.

love
mairin

p.s. i couldn't pick just one song from their album, but i suggest you all take a listen to Oh Bijou. although you guys probably drool all over them already since they're from toronto...

 
At 5:49 p.m., February 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAH!!!! I feel Oh so in the loop today, since my pick o' the week "Habitat" actually opened for Mairin's suggested band Oh Bijou! on the weekend. I saw them BOTH, and Jet Planes from Abraham, a sure to be buzzed about band from O-town.

This is too much musical goodness for one to handle...

 
At 4:20 a.m., February 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, is this what I have to suffer through due to the time difference?

Although I'm severely dismayed that 'Cowbell' got booted, Toto remains a popular choice. I'll refer you all to my previous diatribe on why 'All My Friends' by LCD Soundsystem should be on the list...

'It's a new direction from their epic beat-fests or their ironic singles (like 'Daft Punk' and 'North American Scum'... good as they both are). Plays like a great New Order tune- their whole new album is solid and this is a good indicator of why we should all listen to it'

I have no snow-inspired ditties, cause I have no snow.

it may be of interest to Kate that when Mairin and I were in a low-talent, high-profile Ottawa area gospel choir we were practically the house band and that same Black Sheep Inn.

Ryan, if you really knew me, you'd know that I'm possibly JT's biggest fan and live for nothing but his well-being.

That said, both your choices are fairly obvious. Yes, I can't just let anything be.

 
At 11:48 a.m., February 14, 2007, Blogger Rachel said...

Damn dudes, I was going to throw in "Smile" by Lily Allen and/or "What Goes Around.." because the video features Shane's boyfriend and my girlfriend.

Whatever. "Check the O.R." it is.

Speaking of cold, I was actually throwing select pages out of Bryna's books into the fire...y'know, just the pages that are integral to the plot. Another example of why you shouldn't get on my bad side.

PS> mega props Kate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home