Monday, May 01, 2006

“The world’s gone mad, we’ve lost the love we had, take me away”
-The World’s Gone Mad Part 2, Handsome Boy Modeling School

One cross-town move down, one hemispheric move to go.

The weekend was simultaneously lazy and busy- I turned down passes to the Hot Docs (documentary film festival) over the weekend, and passes to the opening night reception mostly out of laziness on my part. Yes, I turned down free booze and appetizers to stay home and pack up my precious belongings to move over to Dan and Carrie-Anne’s couch for the week. Saturday involved me trekking through Chinatown and Kensington Market, then downtown to the bookstore to buy the latest copy of NME for the plane ride (it will also double as room decoration in Fukushima since it’s full of UK indie music ads for bands if you’ve never picked one up…and a giant Arctic Monkeys poster), then over to Dirk’s for some goodbye festivities.

“I’m wired, and I’m totally wide awake”


Dirk’s house was fun, even though we all sat on the floor of his room since he had given away his bed already (hence, nothing for me to keep up mine and Nat’s tradition of rolling around in Dirk’s bed, whether he was even home or not). But decent sangria and candy make any floor comfortable…not to mention the drink Sofia and I shared at the apartment before I left.

Sunday was moving day- or more specifically, get up while still kinda drunk, eat a bowl of jell-o and listen to the Kaiser Chiefs while I threw clothes in piles on the floor and made last-minute frantic music downloads. Then it was off to Dan’s where Carrie-Anne and I spent the rest of the night watching TV and gossiping about Dallas Green (who was weird when I knew him..."Oh my God Dallas is dating annoying neck-less VJ Leah from Much Music and they were holding hands at Subway at the Pen Centre" is what's happening as the people of Thorold freak out. Please, I hung out at Subway when I was in grade 10...okay, no I didn't because I had better things to do) and other Niagara people.

“Sometimes I just want to do, don’t know why but I just want to do it, I don’t know why, feel alive when I do it”

I’ve started my last week at work, which is actually kind of sad, even though half of my friends have already moved over to another office, leaving it quiet and desolate here, except of course for my music which I have cranked up loud enough but not too loud to be obnoxious. We had our traditional goodbye grilled cheese sandwiches on Friday where, if I had ever doubted I am either in the wrong line of work, the wrong office, or that weirdness wears off with age, my friends Martha and Tony and I decided that if and when I choose to get married:
A) I will walk down the aisle to
Sussudio by Genesis.
B) I will marry Phil Collins, who may need a new wife in about 10 years.
C) Phil Collins, having turned down my marriage proposal is out of work so I will hire him to play at my reception. That’s right- all Phil Collins, all night. And he doesn’t do requests.

“And the fuck-up is this, I still forget if I still exist”

Coincidentally, Mairin called me from the ‘Gina and our conversation inevitably turned towards Phil Collins as she had a stellar story about a bride walking down the aisle to “In the Air Tonight” by accident. That’s right. “In the Air Tonight.” The song about Phil Collins seeing some guy drown and another guy not saving him, or something to that effect. I’ll miss work since it’s where I make all of my personal calls due to my lousy phone plan. That’s what my 1-800 number is for- toll free chatting about Phil Collins.

“Little is cheap, but little is all, all you have, at the end of a fall”

So in between listening to Virgin Radio’s Top 40 British Acts countdown (currently at #29 Franz Ferdinand, #28 [what???!!!] David Bowie, #27 KT Tunstall??? #23 McFly. I’ve lost my faith. ) I’m listening to:

Top 5 Songs to Hear While Working Hard/Hardly Working:

Get Up and Use Me- The Fire Engines
Pump it Up- Elvis Costello
What We All want- Gang of Four

Kicking the Heart Out- Rogue Wave
The World’s Gone Mad Part 2- Handsome Boy Modeling School (currently my song o’ the moment as it’s stuck in my head and features half of Gorillaz and half of Franz Ferdinand who are the obsession of the month)

Actually, there really isn’t a point in listening to Virgin Radio since I end up hearing songs that I already have on my iPod when the whole purpose of this experiment was to listen to new things. And it smells like ham outside which is distracting.

“Did I survive all that for this?”

4 Comments:

At 6:14 p.m., May 01, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

tuesday night sushi or martinis? i'm at 416-421-9631 or 514-996-2863 if you're in!

 
At 10:17 p.m., May 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Virign's like that, they just plain fuck up sometimes...

Watch #1 be Robbie Williams or something garbage like that.

I think you should propose a "sushi martini" to Lauren to see how hardcore she is.

1 Oz. Vodka
1 Oz. Vermouth
Top with fresh snapper

s.

 
At 11:41 p.m., May 01, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

well, you're not hardcore unless you live hardcore.

but i do have a weak stomach and no gallbladder.

 
At 10:37 a.m., May 02, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

I'd much prefer to dip raw fish into some gin as opposed to make a drink out of sushi. Proabaly make it taste better.

As for being hardcore, I tactfully decided to remove the half-full mickey of rum I had in my purse before going into work this morning. Gotta paractice for all that sake somewhow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home