Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"Hey man, my schoolday's insane, Hey man, my work's down the drain"
-Suffragette City, David Bowie

Ugh where do I begin with the weekend recap...

I didn't get to montreal. When I was informed that the replacement bus for my train would arrive around 330am, I vetoed that plan. Rusty ended up driving to Toronto and arrived around 1am. At this point in time, I started coming down with a bad cold (the same thing that's been going around here for a month, and liek an idiot, I thought I had missed catching it). With me feeling crappy and the rainy and cold weather not helping, I demanded to be taken to Future Shop to buy a Franz Ferdinand DVD and scope out the iPod accessories. And this is where the trouble began...

About 2 minutes from my house, just past Keele and Bloor St., we get into a car accident. Technically a fender bender although we bent more than a fender. It goes a little something like this: we are the last of 4 cars in a row. Car #1 decides to start reversing to parallel park causing car numbers 2 and 3 to slam on their breaks. Which leaves us, in a big Dodge Dakota truck to slam on our breaks. Although we were only going about 35 km/hr, plus brekaing at the time, the momentum of the truck plus the wet, rainy roads, causes us to smash into the back of the Honda Civic in front of us, which then hits the car in front of him. For the love of God, people I care about- do not drive a Honda Civic. This car was left crumpled. We were going 35km! If you were in an accident on the highway in that thing you'd be dead. Luckily no one was hurt. But the Honda Civic was totaled. The truck became half the size it originally was, and the front bumper part of the car fell off. I was concerned because the force of the impact had flung my iPod on the floor, but that's me.

Cops and tow trucks were called. Rusty escaped getting charged for the accident since it was blamed on road and weather conditions and a lack of stopping time. Instead, he got a $65 ticket for not having up to date paperwork in the truck with him for his insurance. The Honda and Rusty's truck had to be towed, since the cop wasn't sure if the alignment was damaged. After a fun trip to the mechanics and a ride in a tow truck that had pictures of Jesus taped up on the inside (I kept my laughter and comments to myself) the truck got the okay from the mechanic that it was driveable. Two hours later, with a slightly dented hood, non-functioning air conditioing, and a loosely tacked on bumper, we went to Swiss Chalet for lunch.

If only the story ended there. After lunch, Rusty backed into a wall in the parking lot bending his back bumper. I still demanded to be taken to Future Shop, so the trip wasn't a total write-off (for me anyway).

"Oh don't lean on me man, Cause you ain't got time to check it"

Dirk, Rusty and I went to the Dance Cave Saturday night for some boozing and dancing, both which were plentiful. Good music all around for a change although I was out numbered when I said AC/DC doesn't belong at the Cave. It should also be noted that this was sometime before mine and Dirk's sing-along to "Livin' on a Prayer" using beer bottles as microphones while sitting in the "welcoming booth" by the entrance. It also made me incredibly sad to realize that I was the only Bowie fan left... Sunday was pretty much as lazy as could be.

I took Monday off of work since I was sick and Rusty took off in the afternoon. Sick days aren't so bad- I watched The Great Dictator and found my Moby CD that I haven't seen since I lived on Bronson Ave in a box that I haven't opened in 3 years. I also found a sweet Scissor Sisters and Franz Ferdinand live cover of "Suffragette City"... "Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am" indeed. My sick days are providing me with time to give my books/CDs/DVDs that aren't coming to Japan a proper goodbye. And since I've also taken the day off today, I've had to bail out on some after-work drinks with my co-workers, but instead I get to go for sushi with Dirk and Angus; a much better deal indeed. I'm sick, but I'm not that sick. Sigh. 2 weeks to go, 8 more days at "work"...

"There's only room for one and here she comes"

3 Comments:

At 2:13 p.m., April 25, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

i'm glad you're okay!

as for the Cave, i will return, bringing my bowie-fandom in full force! take that, non-bowie fans!

 
At 4:29 p.m., April 25, 2006, Blogger Heidi said...

ouch. that sucks.
Well, at least you´ll be in Japan soon...I heard that Rickshaw accidents actually cure hemorrhoids. So, it´s a win-win situation either way ;)

 
At 1:10 a.m., April 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dance Cave is a fickle mistress like that. Some days it's just OFF, as Lauren will attest.

Like, remember when Zaphod's would randomly play Chumbawamba (or, if you're Dirk, Oasis) and old Van Halen songs?

Gotta change it up or it'll make you wanna vomit. It had a good run before I left, but I think I may have to retire from DC effective upon my return from Oz. It gets crappy with summer frat boy season too.

Oh, Henry!!
s.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home