Wednesday, April 26, 2006

“When you have completed what you thought you had to do, And your blood's depleted to the point of stable glue”
-Steady as She Goes, The Raconteurs

I decided to trudge into work today after a lazy two days home sick.

Went out for sushi last night with Dirk, Angus, and Alanna and reminisced about old times like our beloved Zaphod’s, other randomness, episodes of “That’s Our Dirk” that never materialized outside of our heads, and how quickly the past year has gone.

One good thing about being sick- apart from the other good things that include NOT going to work, sleeping in, watching TV, finding things I thought I had lost long ago, and reruns of America’s Next Top Model- is that I have a chance to peruse the literature in the house. Namely, Joyce’s aptly titled cookbook: “Innards and Other Variety Meats” by Jana Allen. It features interesting chapters and recipes such as:

Prepartaion of Brains
Brain Vinaigrette
Creamy Brain Chowder
Tacos de Sesos (Brain tacos)
Brains and Ham Foo Yung
Brains au Beurre Noir
Sweet & Sour Heart
Pig’s Ear Salad

It also suggests various sauces for serving tongue : Spanish Almond Sauce, Walnut and Peanut Sauce, BBQ Sauce (what, no Hollandaise ?!). OR serve is sans sauce in a Tongue Mousse.

There is also Stuffed Sow’s Maw which came with the delightful quote: “Whenver there was a sow to be slaughtered, there was a sow’s maw to be stuffed, according to the Pennsylvania Dutch.”

And last but not least, a recipe for Son of a Bitch Stew which basically encompasses a medley of meats from the beasts of the animal kingdom.

“Well here we go again, you've found yourself a friend that knows you well”

At least I was keeping myself occupied and educated at home. It also makes me glad that I am down to only rice, pita bread, veggie dip (but no veggies), apple sauce, rock candy from London, 3 granola bars, peanut butter, and some cookies in the attempts to clear out the apartment of food before I move over to Dan’s on Sunday. No innards or variety meats for me.


“But no matter what you do, it always feels as though the truth ends”

I’m listening to Yahoo radio which claims to play what I would like based on genre and band preferences. So far it assumes that I will love Peter Gallagher (I didn’t even know he sings), ZZ Top, Kenny Loggins, and Avril Lavigne in between The Stills, The Donnas, and The Raconteurs. I’m having much better luck with their random music video channel…but then again, maybe I shouldn’t be watching music videos at work. On second thought, I don’t have a boss/supervisor/manager, I’m the only one left in my department, and I’m the only one who has any grasp of my actual duties. At this point, it works out better for me if I get fired in the next 7 days since my severance will be equal to what I would have worked anyway….sweet (coincidently, yahoo radio just started playing “Ballroom Blitz” by Sweet). Thank God this film degree has come in handy.


“Are you steady now?”

Top 5 Songs I’m listening to Whilst Thinking About the Other White Meat:

Gold Lion- Yeah Yeah Yeahs (lions could be delicious)
My Little Red Book- Love
Shopping for Blood- Franz Ferdinand (I love shopping!)
House of Jealous Lovers- The Rapture
A Million Ways to Be Cruel- OK Go

“Steady as she goes”

2 Comments:

At 12:24 p.m., April 26, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

i feel your pain - trying to eat myself out of house and home, that is. and then all these people want to go out for "last dinners" and "goodbye lunches" and i'm just wanting to eat my freezer full of lasagne! luckily i found a subletter so maybe he can just inherit my winter cooking projects...

either way, a monday/tuesday/wednesday martini night would be totally agreeable - if Dan, Dirk, Angus, whoever can make it, the more the merrier :)

 
At 3:47 p.m., April 26, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

Yeah, my week is full of "goodbye dinners/lunches"...at least my roomamtes can inherit the random cans of coconut milk (passed on to me by another roomamte who moved out), spring rolls, and a variety of spices and forgotten freezer burnt items.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home