Friday, April 28, 2006

“We are agents of the free, I've had my fun and now its time to, Serve your conscience overseas”
-
Orange Crush, R.E.M.

I’ve discovered a new pastime at work: requesting songs on Virgin Radio and getting shout outs by London DJs. It’s true. It seems the trick is to mention I’m listening online in Canada, and it’s an almost instant playable request. Sweet. Maybe they’re just excited I know bands like Hard-Fi? Today I got a shout out for requesting either Hard-Fi or Franz Ferdinand (they played FF, “Do You Want To”). At least their radio is better than what gets played here, especially since it’s UK Music Week.

And since I’m on a music theme, I thought I’d take a look at my Top 20 most played songs on my iPod as I prepare to unplug the computer on Sunday (insert feverish downloading of any song I think I might want to hear in the next 5 months here). It’s been a few months since I reset my play counts so I’m wondering what’s crept back into my playlists, what’s fallen off the chart, and what’s new. So here we go from 20 to 1 (with only one song per artist):

House of Jealous Lovers- The Rapture
Rock n’ Roll Queen- The Subways
Politik- Coldplay
I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor- Arctic Monkeys
Shine a Light- Wolf Parade
Gold Lion- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Passenger- Iggy Pop
Mis-shapes- Pulp
Banquet- Bloc Party
Take Your Mama Out- Scissor Sisters
Going, Going, Gone- Stars
Cash Machine- Hard-Fi
Ooh La La- Goldfrapp
Lover’s Spit- Broken Social Scene
Miracle Drug- U2
Train in Vain- The Clash
Your Diary- Franz Ferdinand
Town Called Malice- The Jam
Kids with Guns- Gorillaz
Hotel Yorba- The White Stripes

Not that surprising. Some new, some old. As I get ready for concerts I tend to listen to more of an artist, hence the BSS, Hard-Fi, Franz, Stars, Arctic Monkeys, etc. I clearly love music made by Brits.

On to weekend goodness- Kensington market, dinners, drinking, packing, moving to Dan’s, and making jell-o since it is the last of the foodstuffs in my house (aside from rice). For now back to work- surfing the net, requesting songs, YouTubing, and the occasional filing duty until it's time for the traditional Friday $3.99 grilled cheese lunch.

“Another one on the waves tonight, Comin' in, you're home”

3 Comments:

At 12:30 a.m., April 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Hotel Yorba!!!! #1, where it should be!!

Did you know that's actually the NAME of my iPod?

s.

ps> I'd have thought a U2 song would be #1, but Miracle Drug is an excellent to have as your most played... i'd have put my money on "Sometimes..."

 
At 4:36 p.m., April 29, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

nice list! i'll have to generate my own soon!

also, i'm back in toronto and i want to paint it black!

and finally, my ipod's name is little lucy. becasus my ibook is lucy. they go together like birds of feather :)

 
At 7:51 p.m., April 29, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

Y'know I'd have pegged a U2 song to be number one too, but even last time "Sometimes..." and "Running" tied for 3rd or 4th place. And I think Bloc Party was first.

I never named my iPod, other than U2 iPod. I should call it Mullen Jr. Junior. Or maybe just "Adam."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home