Tuesday, May 02, 2006

“They take my voice and they feed my eyes, All I read is a bed of lies”
-Get Up and Use Me, Fire Engines

As my days here are winding down, I have been surprised at how fast my work day has gone. I might be a little premature with that statement since it’s only 11:45am on Tuesday and I have gone back to listening to Yahoo radio for it’s hilarious suggestions of what it thinks I would enjoy- today’s choices included David Hasselhoff (again!), REO Speedwagon, and right now it’s “I Want to Know What Love Is” by Foreigner. This is what it thinks I would like when my preferences are set to U2, Stars, Bowie, The Clash, Blur, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Almost enough to drive me back to my iPod and/or
radioblogclub.com.

I’ve been mixing up my days at work with a lot of ridiculous little tasks that take up too much time, interspersed with some Youtubing, and making origami birds to sit on my window ledge. My window is propped open with a VHS tape and some of my birds just blew out onto Richmond St. Oh well. They lived a good life.

Last night Dan and I decided that we were incredibly lazy so we went for ice cream, then pizza, then sat around watching "Deal or No Deal", one of my fave films Shallow Grave, and Leno because Franz Ferdinand were on. Exciting life, I know. I’m so tired today. I can’t handle these filling days and “late” nights…and I must pry my eyelids open Clockwork Orange-style and watch Jimmy Kimmel tonight since Franz are on again. I think the fact that my dream was set to music by Savage Garden is what made it a restless one.

“Tell me I have everything to live for, It means nothing to me”

I’m also incredibly grateful to be blessed with the walk from Bloor & Spadina to/from my office because yesterday alone I witnessed the following on Yonge St:
a) Zanta- I was really worried that I wouldn’t see him before I left for Japan, but there he was!
b) A woman pushing her small dog wearing a bonnet in a baby stroller.
c) A man in a kilt.
d) A pigeon fight. Very exciting indeed.

It also reminded me of the story I told Mairin the other day: A scary old woman at the McDonald’s in Bloor West Village stopped me and said, “I’ve seen your picture. I know your face.” Old people terrify me, so I wasn’t prepared for the usual comeback as I am when the crazy men approach me on the street. I just smiled and left when she didn't offer any further information.

“The universe, white from a bed, And don't you know he's already dead”

So next week at this time, I’ll be firmly seated on a plane, heading to Vancouver. Sadly, I looked up the film schedule for Air Canada: Tristan & Isolde, Aeon Flux, and the saving grace that is Tootsie. My plane to Tokyo should have the personal video screens so the option of Match Point and Sling Blade are somewhat comforting. What is not comforting is that the
Fuji Rock Festival line-up was announced with who’s playing on what day, and the people I love are split between two days. So now it begs the question of: Do I get a 3 days pass for $390, or a one day pass for $160? Do I suffer through the Red Hot Chili Peppers -whom I loathe- for the Scissor Sisters, The Hives, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or do I go for the Franz Ferdinand headlining day with JET, The Cribs, and The Zutons? All of this leaves Broken Social Scene by the wayside on the 3rd day. I think I need to get out of the habit of seeing bands multiple times like Franz, or for the second time with The Cribs and The Zutons. I love that this is my life-altering decision of the moment.

“And who's scared?Not me”

So 3 more days at work to go. Then I’ll have to split my time between this blog and my legitimate travel one for the family and other people who don’t need to hear about my antics. I’m so cool I have 2 blogs. What am I going to do without this daily blog entry? More importantly, what are you going to do?

“So get up and use me”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home