Monday, April 09, 2007

"I'll dance my little dance till it makes you smile "
-Never Let Me Down, David Bowie

I'm sorry. I'm really bad. This blog is falling by the wayside. Combined with a super busy 3 day work week last week, a hefty final assignment in my film marketing class (remind me never to be a student again), and the emerging obsession that is facebook, I haven't had the time.

But I will update soon, end of the week, I promise. I'm slowly compiling my London trip on my travel blog. Saturday is my belated birthday party possibly at the Mod Club. Revival has a "new" Saturday night which is pulling me in with a large picture of Bono on the poster, but the bold "80's Pop" is making me cringe, when you know for sure that over at the Mod Club, you are guaranteed to hear "Start Wearing Purple". And yes, this is pretty much the biggest decision I have to make this week.

My winning streak has slowed lately, except for the Zip.ca Weekly Critic win...but today I won screening passes to Disturbia. But it's all the way up at Empress Walk, which is almost more of a burden than a prize. You know how much I hate travelling North of Bloor. I've never even gone that far North on the subway before. We'll see how adventurous I'm feeling and who I can wrangle into coming with me.

And I'll put up a playlist poll tomorrow, so last minute pitchers, pitch now...

"And though my days are slipping by ..."

3 Comments:

At 5:00 p.m., April 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh1. welcome back! can't wait to party it up on saturday!

2. as for north of bloor, nay, north of 401, welcome to my (work not by choice) world. empress walk is actually really fun, and there's a kick-ass winners there! r

3. finally - i revoke my previous pitch. and i pitch something new instead...

"bad time to be poor", by the rheostatics, as performed by the weakerthans, from the "Secret sessions" rheostatics cover album

why? let me count the ways. firstly, the rheos, canada's quintessential indie auteurs, played their alleged "final show" last week at massey hall. so we need to spin their music, if only in tribute and in thanks for the years of golden pop-rock from the soul of canada without lyrics about nothing other than hockey. this version comes from a tribute album put out by a whackload of awesome canadian artists, and features a band who are quickly establishing themselves as heirs to the rheo's throne.

secondly, the song's title is all-too-relevant to most of us, i'm sure, be it at tax time or just as we try to figure out and pay for the next few years of our lives. eg, buying cars, condos, houses, weddings....oh wait, that's just me ;)

and thirdly, on a mildly personal note, the chorus line "haven't i done enough to burn out? haven't i been there to help out?" pretty much sums my situation at work - an overworked martyr of a co-teacher, a month of long days and late nights at school and on the road to NYC ahead of me, and a feeling that summer is so close yet so so far.

for all these reasons, and cause it's a kick-ass pop-rock record, spin it.

- L

 
At 5:51 p.m., April 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll say hello and that i'm still alive in pitch form.

In honour of the wave of age that started on Jan. 21, has swallowed two good kids by now and will take me in three weeks, i propose:

NEVER GET OLD by David Bowie

 
At 10:45 a.m., April 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm back in the game!

Truth is I've been debating pitching this song for over 2 months! I just cant get sick of it and I thought I would. It's a little on the hip hop/pop side, but it's incredibly fun and funky...

I would like to funk up this week's poll with Gym Class Heroes' Cupids Chokehold.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home