Thursday, March 22, 2007

“And you're rushing headlong you've got a new goal, And you're rushing headlong out of control”
-Headlong, Queen

Our lottery attempt for We Will Rock You was met with mixed success.

After arriving to glare at our fellow lottery players, Cassandra’s name was called mid-way through the pack, leaving Dan and I standing in the cold. When I was down to only a single ticket and about 15 of us waiting outside, Dan and I figured for sure that my name would be called…and it was. After debating and offering the ticket to Dan, I went ahead and collected it. Not wanting to be left out, Dan walked over to the box office, spurred on by the encouragements of a random man egging him on to march in there and get himself a seat.

“Give me your worst seat…obstructed view,” was what Dan told the confused box office dude, but it turned out that it wasn’t much more money for a horrible seat to a prime seat a few rows from the stage. I ended up in a box with a couple and a weird single man, while Scott and Cassandra were on a wooden bench, in the place where the orchestra would have normally been. They had a few close calls in almost being kicked in the face, hit with flying chains, and saw plenty of vagines of the female ensemble. I myself was treated to a few nipple slips, while a girl tried to pick Dan up.

“She used to be a woman with a hot dog stand”


The show was fun, unabashedly cheesy, and full-on Canadian with references to everything from Zellers, Bryan Adams, and Maple Leaf Gardens (which for the most part works well, but
enough is enough). The show was more like attending a concert than a musical with people clapping and singing along, and yes, even glowsticks which we were given to wave around. The lead guy is soooo Quebecois. Even Eve said, “Whoa, that’s French!” when she found out where he was from. “Under Pressure” is totally under whelming which is a shame but that’s the weakest point in the show. The plot is ludicrous, but it’s actually a funny show, and at times walks a thin line between just stringing a bunch of Queen songs together and formulating some sort of story. But it was worth seeing. And I am aware that Dan and I dressed alike in this picture. That's what happens when you've been hanging around someone for 20+ years.

Nayeli the Mexican landed in Toronto Tuesday night, and although I have maybe seen her for only 15 minutes in total, tomorrow is reserved for the Dance Cave which was a must for the Mexican…which is great since I have fleeting memories of her goodbye party there, which is probably for the best.

“But there ain't no stopping no there's nothin' you can do”

3 Comments:

At 11:26 a.m., March 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pitching...

"Break"- The Cinematics

I am obsessed with this song this month. What's with Scottish bands being so awesome recently? Danceable, Franz Ferdinand-ish, and catchy. That's all I ask for in life.

 
At 8:20 p.m., March 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i'm seeing double. i think i'm seeing double. have a great time caving on friday!
L

 
At 9:50 a.m., March 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lindsay has been talking about seeing WWRY for a little while now. I was a bit timid so thanks for the review - gives me a better idea of what to expect!

As far as leaning my playlist towards wedding song suggestions, we're actually pretty sure we know what ours will be - it's a side effect of a long courtship. No, I won't say what song it is yet, just that it's a VERY old tune.

My pitch...

To put a cap on my overly romantic week, I suggest the slighly obvious choice of "Forever" by Ben Harper. It says a lot of what this week was about for me, and was actually on of my best friend's wedding songs when she got married last fall.

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home