Monday, January 23, 2006

“See where looking pretty cool will get ya”
-Bohemian Like You, Dandy Warhols (this song is great for Mondays…it just makes me feel good)


Weekend recap! And I just dropped melted cheese into my keyboard…

Former roommate and adoptive mother of Puivis, Natalie came to stay for the weekend and engage in various outings including but not limited to 2 concerts, riding a giant Korean tiger, shopping, boozing, and an Arrested Development marathon.

Friday, after bailing on work, we went to Kensington market for some shopping and a late lunch
. I found 2 sweet shirts- one which I bought that was of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence and the other which coined our new favourite phrase= Slap Jesus Some Skin which unfortunately was only in man size. Met the boys- Dirk and Shane- at 8pm at the Red Room for what turned out to be multiple pitchers of beer before we went to see Hard- Fi in concert (super cool British band who I am always talking about here because of their Kaiser Chiefs-esque nature). Originally we assumed hard-Fi would be over by 11:30-midnight, but had found out that their set didn’t even start until midnight, thus putting a dent in our Dance Cave plans. At the Red Room we had 3 (maybe 4?) pitchers and food, sat and talked about all sorts of nonsense and Dirk even showed us his sweet penguin boxers.


After many a beer it was decided that the boys should try to get scalpers tickets to join us at the concert. They couldn’t get any so we stood outside the Horseshoe pondering options at 11pm. Then Dirk had what may be the most brilliant idea of his entire life, or so it seemed at the time- we would go to Dance Cave immediately, get our hands stamped, leave, only to return later, effectively skipping the entire queue outside. We hopped on the streetcar/subway, went to Dance Cave, danced for one song and then left. Pure genius. The boys went to Dirk’s for wine while Nat and I went to see Hard-Fi.

“No I havent heard your band, 'Cuz you guys are pretty new”



The concert was superb. They really reminded me of the Clash live. So cool. They were awesome and played all my fave songs, and even broke out a key-monica. After the concert, we cabbed it over to DC and waltzed right in to get our dance on. After effectively dancing, we were headed back to Dirk’s to get Shane’s man bag and my copy of Eurotrip (which I left there again) when we came across the giant Korean tiger on Bloor. Of course, the only thing we could do was climb it. And we climbed it good. Here's Nat riding the Korean tiger...

And myself and Shane:
Dirk also sang a version of “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child, customized to fit the lyrics “I’m a light tiger.” I inadvertently caught it all on video. Here he is astride the tiger:

“I guess it's fair if he always pays the rent”

Once we reached Dirk’s, it was time for food- pita and hummos, pepper popcorn, and the piece de resistance- a plate of bacon, thus topping the plate of pastrami offered the last time I was at Dirk’s. All for us were decidedly drunk so after demanding to wear ill fitting pants from Dirk we somehow all ended up in Dirk’s roommate’s bed. I think it all began from some innocent steamrolling of Shane who had claimed the bed, and the next thing you know, there’s 4 of us sleeping in a bed with Nat barely on the bed and crammed next to the wall, me wedged between Shane and Dirk. I really am impressed we all fit in that bed. It was quite comfortable for a while until elbows moved to places they shouldn’t be, so I made a nest out of laundry on the floor and slept there until Dirk vanquished his spot and moved to the couch. And once again, Shane ended up with the bitch spot in the centre.

“It's you that I want so please, Just a casual, casual easy thing”

Since we were so lazy by the time Nat and I got back to my house, we watched about 5 episodes of Arrested Development and went shopping. We had tickets to the Broken Social Scene concert Saturdya night and met up with Dirk to head over to Kool Haus. The show was good. I’m not a huge fan in general, but I was impressed by the show. The lineup featured Feist, Amy and another dude from Stars, Justin from Death from Above, Jason Collet, and an assortment of other Canadian indie stars. I also got cool video of Lover’s Spit and Anthems for a 17 year Old Girl, my fave songs. The blue pic is of BSS with Feist.

We were so exhausted we headed back to my place after for more Arrested Development. On a sad note, I forgot to set my VCR to tape Peter Sarsgaard on SNL. I’m so ashamed. Although I did manage to catch these clips for the Pirate Convention, the hotel Room, and my personal favourite- Peter Sarsgaard’s SARS guards (which I can’t find online). I’m just glad NBC repeats SNL all the time so I’ll catch it later or download it.

“See where looking pretty cool, Will get ya”


And Stars are playing in TO March 1st and Dirk and I are gearing up for that.

OVERRATED: All SNL episodes which do not feature Peter Sarsgaard as host (with the exception of the Colin Farrell/Scissor Sisters episode which is my favourite).
UNDERRATED: The understated humour of Peter Sarsgaard. He’s witty and you know it. he would totally slap Jesus some skin.

“And I'm feeling so bohemian like you”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home