Monday, January 16, 2006

I see the stars come out of the sky Yeah, they're bright in a hollow sky You know it looks so good tonight”
-The Passenger, Iggy Pop

The Golden Globes are on tonight, and for people like me (obsessive compulsive film nerd) this is the biggest night next to the Oscars. So, here is a recap of the important (to me) nominations, ignoring all the TV nominations because no one cares (except I would like the Sutherlands to both win tonight). And I highlighted the ones I’ve seen because it’s another form of list-making.

Picture - Drama

Brokeback Mountain
The Constant Gardener
Good Night, And Good Luck
A History Of Violence
Match Point

Picture - Musical Or Comedy
Mrs Henderson Presents
Pride & Prejudice
The Producers
The Squid And The Whale
Walk The Line

Actor In A Leading Role - Drama
Russell Crowe in Cinderella Man
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote
Terrence Howard in Hustle & Flow
Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain
David Strathairn in Good Night, And Good Luck.

Actor In A Leading Role - Musical Or Comedy
Pierce Brosnan in The Matador
Jeff Daniels in The Squid And The Whale
Johnny Depp in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory
Nathan Lane in The Producers
Cillian Murphy in Breakfast On Pluto
Joaquin Phoenix in Walk The Line

Actress In A Leading Role - Drama
Maria Bello in A History Of Violence
Felicity Huffman in Transamerica
Gwyneth Paltrow in Proof
Charlize Theron in North Country
Ziyi Zhang in Memoirs Of A Geisha

Actress In A Leading Role - Musical Or Comedy
Judi Dench in Mrs Henderson Presents
Keira Knightley in Pride & Prejudice
Laura Linney in The Squid And The Whale
Sarah Jessica Parker in The Family Stone
Reese Witherspoon in Walk The Line

Actor In A Supporting Role
George Clooney in Syriana
Matt Dillon in Crash
Will Ferrell in The Producers
Paul Giamatti in Cinderella Man
Bob Hoskins in Mrs Henderson Presents

Actress In A Supporting Role
Scarlett Johansson in Match Point
Shirley MacLaine in In Her Shoes
Frances McDormand in North Country
Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams in Brokeback Mountain

Director
Woody Allen for Match Point
George Clooney for Good Night, And Good Luck.
Peter Jackson for King Kong
Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain
Fernando Meirelles for The Constant Gardener
Steven Spielberg for Munich

Screenplay
Brokeback Mountain
Crash
Good Night, And Good Luck.
Match Point
Munich

“I look through my window so bright”

As for the weekend, I spent it completely sober. It’s been a long time since I’ve done that, thanks to the fantastic people who have been in town as of late. But I was so tired and I had been looking forward to sleeping in (since I don’t sleep when I’m drunk) and reading books.

It was still a full weekend- on Saturday I ran (literally as I didn’t realize how late it was when I was talking to Dan) to see Munich. I’m a member of the anti-Spielberg movement- I find him predictable, overly melodramatic, and I find that he likes to exploit historical events and he peaked with Schindler’s List. But at least I know I’m biased. I gave the movie a “meh” after I watched it, and it wasn’t until the next day when I had had a chance to think about it that I finally decided that I enjoyed it. I even enjoyed Daniel Craig whom I normally despise. Although I did find myself in the Seinfeldian (is it wrong to make out during Schindler’s List? Discuss.) situation where I kept thinking that Eric Bana was really hot, even though I have never found him attractive before, and probably never will again (case in point, The Hulk was on TV last night and he was not very appealing in that. Or I could have been distracted by crazy old Nick Nolte. Sigh. Ang Lee, how you disappoint me so). And in the face of a massacre of people, perhaps I shouldn’t have been thinking about how good he looked. Then again, if Steven Spielberg is going to manipulate audiences, then I can think what I want.

“We'll be the passenger We'll ride through the city tonight”

Sunday, Dan and I decided to have a mini-movie marathon of Good Night and Good Luck and Transamerica. GNAGL wasn’t that compelling for me, and we chose to see it because everyone says you have to see it and I often conform to filmic peer pressure. I was more interested in the behind-the-scenes of CBS television than the actual McCarthy era. But that’s me and if you’ve ever taken an O’Brien or McKnight class like I have then you’ve covered the HUAC situation and McCarthy vs. Showbiz in depth. And I am also predisposed to detest George Clooney. Actually in my French class today my sentence of the day was “Je deteste George Clooney.”

Transamerica was funny. Even funnier when you think about how many people leave the theatre asking themselves if Felicity Huffman is really a man. It’s not that hard to imagine. She’s very good in the film although Dan and I had a hard time keeping a straight face at first. She also talks in the obnoxious drunk man voice (“Bail Out!”). And her son in the film is played by a guy from Ontario, so props. All in all it was a good story and wroth seeing. William H. Macy is a lucky man to go home to man-voice Huffman every night. “Hey Bill Macy” indeed.


Munich and Transamerica are the ones i would reccommend and are likely to see again, in that order. but we all know I'm only watching Munich again to see if Eric Bana is still hot. And to see Geoffrey Rush because he always reminds me of the crazy guy from Shine when he mumbled throuout his performance of "Flight of the Butterfly" at the Oscars.

“All of it was made for you and me 'cause it just belongs to you and me”

We also had a resume writing workshop at work today, so now I had mad resume skillz if anyone wants some info. I especially enjoyed the section where you match verbs to your skillz and create dynamic phrases. Of course, I kept picking words like tenacious, fit, shrewd, flamboyant, and farsighted so it did become more of a mad lib game. I’m sure I retained some knowledge.

Word.

Top 5 Playlist of the Day:
Golden Years- David Bowie
Heart of Gold- Neil Young
Golddigger- Kanye “Conway” West
Silver and Gold- U2
Fields of Gold- Sting


”So let's take a ride and see what's mine”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home