Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"Until the day you die, you'll always admit, That you were right, you were right, About all those things"
-Fire Eye'd Boy, BSS

What am I doing?

That's a question I ask myself when I find that I've put myself in various situations and positions. Today's WTF moment is regarding the spontaneous flight I just booked to Hong Kong for 5 days in September. I just randomly decided to cash in some well-earned Aeroplan miles with Air Canada for a free flight to to the Kong. I figured it was better cashing in 20,000 miles than sitting on them, waiting to accumulate the requisite 60,000 for a free trip to Glasgow or Dublin from the T-dot.

The WTF part comes in as an afterthought in that the areas where the best (read: cheap but still not the Khaosan Tokyo Hostel) are in a somewhat scary building complex. That's right- it seems that 2/3 of all hostels in Kowloon in Hong Kong are located between 2 -and I quote from various websie reviews and sources- "dirty, old, rundown" buildings, humourously referred to as "mansions."....as a side note, "mansion" to the Japanese means condo. I've been warned of "thieves, pickpockets, prostitutes, Arabs who try to sell you fake rolexes, and stabbings" (probably with rusty hobo knives). I'm no stranger to random warnings like pickpockets in Paris or criminals in Naples, but this will be the first time I have officially gone on a full vacation utterly alone. And as we all know, I don't like people, so I don't make friends easily.

So now's the part where you tell me if you know anyone in Hong Kong.

My other WTF issue is that here I am planning a trip to Hong Kong when I haven't even made it to Seoul yet. Not only that, I'm already thinking about trips I could take with my well-earned Costco slave funds in the January-March period. Or I might just say fuck it and head off to the UK with a work visa and let the chips fall where they may.

The countdown to Fuji Rock is official as I spend the afternoon trying to set up the tent in the kitchen in a dry practice run. The flashlights have been purchased, the raincoats unpacked, and snacks have been taste-tested. We decided we needed a Canadian flag for the Broken Social Scene set, so I may have to glue one together. I'm pumped already for my boyfriends in Franz Ferdinand, Scissor Sisters, The Raconteurs, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. We're leaving Thursday night and hopefully we'll make it back in one piece on Monday morning with stories and pictures.


"If you gonna come, you better make it quick"

And because my picture posting went so slowly yesterday, here's a random assortment of photos from the past few weeks.
From Friday night:


I love those "not all there" literally and figuratively.

Saturday's karaoke shenanigans:
Leslie and the flying horse wall mural.


"The Japanese Tom Cruise" dancing with Donna.


The ladies: Eve, me, Donna and Lauren after a dance party in Donna's bedroom.


Party at Yaesu's house.


Donna and I.

"Let us burn, back to life, To do it all again"

1 Comments:

At 11:08 p.m., July 25, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

wow, and i thought WTF today because i splurged on a $10 pair of flats at payless. your adventures make mine look...silly. which they are.

but at least shane and i will have some drunken moments and photos of our soon...

keep havin' fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home