Thursday, July 20, 2006

"So this is summer..."
-Wine in the Afternoon, Franz Ferdinand

Sunday, Eve, Rusty and I spent our last day together in a place called Kamakura. And in a sure sign that we are all watching way too much of "The Amazing Race," we ran the entire way, dodging passengers in the train station sin order to make our train to Kamakura, even though we really didn't need to rush that much. We made the trip to see the giant bronze Buddha. And of course, mine and Eve's first reaction was, "I thought it would be bigger." .... For 10 cents, you could climb inside the Buddha and look out his back. I was a bit irate that you couldn't look out of his eyes so I refused to climb up inside. After meeting a man who invited us to watch him in a harness race this weekend, we wandered down to the beach. The beach was gorgeous and the water was clear and warm- definitely NOT Lake Ontario. We also managed to find one of the only beach bars with an outdoor patio on it. I really miss patio season at home- Japan has nothing. After our beer on the beach, it was back to Tokyo to bid Rusty adieu after his 6 week sojourn through Japan and Thailand. I am really jealous that he was able to use a Japan Rail pass and travel the length of the country, while I wasn't eligible for a pass with my visa status. Boo-urns, indeed. But I was glad to have an excuse to put my books down and put a halt on the "Perfect Strangers" marathon for a bit. "And if you're smart, you'll put that book back down"

It was then time for Eve and I to check into "Tokyo's Number 1 Hostel": the Khaosan Tokyo Hostel. I can only asusme that the people who came up with the title of "Number 1" had a great sense of humour. The floors moved as you walked on them and with every step I though I was going to put my foot through the floor. The desk clerk showed Eve and I into our room: Eve walked in. I walked in....and that's as far as we got because there wasn't any more room. I had to back out into the hallway to take off my backpack. The whole hostel vibrated and I'm not sure if there was an earthquake in the morning or if it was just someone walking down the hallway. We also had an air conditioner which gave off more heat than anything and actually burned me when I tried to turn it off, as if it was out of spite. Needless to say, we tried to spend as little time there as possible, which meant washing the sand off of myself in a restaurant bathroom. In the morning, I passed a man in the hostel hallway who grunted at me. That was a sure sign that we needed to run far away.

"Well I've been drinking wine, I've been drinking wine in the afternoon"

After a 5 hour bus ride and a trip to the rotating sushi restaurant, it was party time with our friends at Yasu's house, which can only be described as an old school Japanese estate. When we go tthere, our riend Donna had been drinking since 1pm and wass determined that she and I should get wasted together. Never one to pass up and oppourtunity, we began drinking all the wine available and enticed some friends to play drinking games. Unfortunately, my favourite game of Fuck You was not played due to lack of a deck of cards. If you want to play a difficult drinking game, try playing in Japanese. Seriously. It was also a numbers/counting game, and we all know I lack mad math skillz in English and when sober. After some sufficient alcohol consumption, it was time for dinner at a friend's Indian restaurant with Yasu, Eve, Dave, and Donna. At this point, Donna and I had sobered up and decided that we need what else, more wine. 2 hours later and only a little tipsy, it was time to leave. I stood up, I took a step, I tripped over a chair, I fell down. In my fall I attempted to brace myself on the table. Bad idea: the flimsy table gave way and I brought it down with me, water glasses and all. Of course, this was absolutely hilarious to Donna and myself while the Japanese didn't quite know what to make of it. I'm prone to falling down, as those of you who know me well know.

"But I don't mind, I'm doing things, and doing them with you"

Since the night was young and Donna and I still wanted more liquor, it was off to karaoke for a few renditions of "Hungry Eyes" and "Lady in Red." Even two hours later, I still wasn't drunk: I was able to make it back to my apartment, a feat we all know I lack when drinking since I can never remember where I live. Donna and I crashed on the floor, occasionally waking Eve up with stifled giggles. And that was my Marine Day holiday weekend.

"Tomorrow's Thursday and that's my day of work"

Actually, today is Thursday and my one class a week is cancelled today.

In other news, Eve and I finally got our asses in gear and booked a flight to Seoul, South Korea for a week in August. Why South Korea, aside from the attractive return flight price of $360 and the oppourtunity to accumulate more Aeroplan miles (to be used for a long weekend in Hong Kong)? Because who the hell goes to South Korea on vacation? We're going to take a trip to the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea where we actually have to sign a wavier that says if we get in the way and get shot, it's not the Korean's fault. Sounds like fun!

"The summer stains the sky with inky swirls, that bring the thunder low"

Top 5 Songs for a Thursday (aka the "Rainy Season is an Appropriate Term" Mix):
Miss You- Rolling Stones
Senorita- Justin Timberlake (shut up. I own this CD)
Heard 'em Say- Kanye West feat. Adam Levine
Beetlebum - Blur
John the Revelator- Depeche Mode

"You'll drag me to the floor"

1 Comments:

At 7:45 p.m., July 20, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

oh how i missed your tales of hijinx and funny shirts!

you're missing amazing dance cave times back here but it sounds like you're making up for it - keep at it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home