Tuesday, June 27, 2006

"What's that coming over the hill, Is it a monster? Is it a monster?"
-Monster, The Automatic

I just realized last night that its been a year since our graduation ceremonies for those of us who went to Carleton. I only thought of this when I realized that the horrible Much Music Video Awards were on this past weekend, which coincided in my return to Toronto post-grad last year after a long bus ride with Angus.

I didn't expect to be in Japan and I didn't think that so many of my friends would be spread around the globe. I thought I'd still be slaving away 9 to 5 style. Now the only thing that concerns me is how do I ever go back to a legitimate job, since we all know I never had to work that hard anyway (or maybe I was just so good at my job that I had lots of free time for blog writing?).

"Confused, mind bruised, it seeps out"

So now that I'm slowly digesting the past week in Tokyo, I'm still kind of lazy when it comes to running the errands that I need to do. Its just too humid for me to even think about going to the post office. I'm already planning subsequent trips to Tokyo that involve Tokyo Disney, the Museum of Western Art, the Rock and Roll Wax Museum (hopefully even more cheesy and ludicrous than the one in Niagara Falls), and a side trip to the giant Buddha and beaches of Kamakura. I also fin dit interesting that Tokyo has slipped to number 2 in the "Most Expensive City" list, behind Moscow, while Toronto is 47th. I don't find Tokyo that expensive- you can still eat a 3 course meal for $10, museums for $4 , etc. I still found London more expensive both times I've been there. Or maybe all that says is that if you're going to go to Tokyo, bring me with you and I'll find you the best places to eat and see for the least amount of money.

"Face down, home town looks so grey"

And Eve and I also need to plan our trip to China and/or wherever else we might end up during the holiday week in early August. Good news awaiting me when I finally made it back to Fukushima was that Eve managed to wrangle me a bike while I was away. And it’s not just a run of the mill Japanese grandma bike with a basket like everyone else- I actually have a Hurley mountain bike, sans basket, in all it’s neon glory. Now we are all set for cycling adventures which can only inevitably end with me throwing my bike into the river.
And we’re also starting to plan for Fuji Rock including careful study of how I will push our way to the front of the stage for Franz Ferdinand and BSS, what exactly we’ll look like after 3 days on non-showering (I said bring hats), how we’re actually getting there, and maybe we should practise setting up a tent before we go since we’re both lacking mad camping skillz (although we have plenty of other mad skillz). We’re also plotting out exactly who we want to see and how we can run from one stage to the other in time- Eve really wants to see rinocerose and BSS, while I’d rather catch Orson (whom Eve dislikes), The Automatic, and Milburn, who all may be playing at the same time as Snow Patrol, and KT Tunstall. As long as I can’t hear Jason Mraz and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, we’re golden.

“Without these pills you're let loose”

I’ve also worked my way through seasons 1 and 2 of "House" (and I miss it already), so now I’m moving on to…wait for it…"Perfect Strangers!" Yay! That will provide me with endless hours of entertainment, as will my new favourite Simpsons quote (to be read in a Chinese accent by a white dragon like Flacor in The Neverending Story): “Homer, I am a dragon. Give me your peanuts and you may ride on my back.” It’s up there with “Shut up YOUR face.” I miss having drunken conversations based entirely on random "Simpsons" quotes….

“Brain fried tonight through misuse”

What’s a blog without at least one list?

Top 5 Songs o’ the Day:
Raoul- The Automatic
Here Comes the Summer- The Fiery Furnaces (still mad about missing them at Fort York)
Cheshire Cat Smile- Milburn
Riot Van- Arctic Monkeys
Just a Thought- Gnarls Barkley

“Stand up, brush off, get moving”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home