Wednesday, June 07, 2006

"And to karaoke songs, How we like to sing along, Although the words are wrong"
-The Universal, Blur

Last night Eve and I headed out for some karaoke duets- kind of a girl's night out before Rusty invades our space tonight. We mostly tested the waters with tracks that we hadn't performed while drinking kahlua and milk, and gin and tonics.

We found that some songs just don't work that well (try and guess who picked which songs!)-
Janet Jackson- Rhythm Nation
The Raconteurs- Steady as she Goes (too repetitive)
Madonna- Nothing Really Matters
Arctic Monkeys- When the Sun Goes Down (just doesn't work without a broad Sheffield accent).
U2 Medley- just an odd choice of songs to go from one to another and odd sections of said songs.
Ewan McGregor & Renee Zellweger- Here's to Love. This one could be very good as long as you don't have to be both Ewan and Renee in the same song like I was.

And I gave up halfway through Dark of the Matinee although I think I could work it out.

"It really, really, really could happen"

Highlights which will definitely be entering into our roster for karaoke and can serve as suggestions for any of your own personal karaoke plans (and Dance Cave staples):

Pulp- Common People
Hard-Fi- Hard to Beat
Primal Scream- Rocks
Kasabian- L.S.F.

I also dedicated It's Gonna Be Me by NSync to Eve, randomly. Eve can also handle the Madonna very well, as well as an awesome duet we did on Wham's (excuse me, Wham!) Careless Whisper. She can also rock the Keane. I give props. The girl can sing. Although all of the Japanese boys will blow anyone out of the water with their performances.

"Every paper that you read, Says tomorrow is your lucky day"

And I think have have found three trademark karaoke songs for all future performances since no one else ever sings them:

Darts of Pleasure by Franz Ferdinand, White Stripes- Seven Nation Army, and George Baker Selection's Llittle Green Bag which I rocked (although no one knows this song, except for a few people who know their music or their Tarantino films well...no one in Japan)

I am also entirigued by the option of singing U2's Discotheque. I'm sure I'll send up at karaoke again this week, ready to try it out.

"When the days they seem to fall through you, well just let them go"

3 Comments:

At 1:33 a.m., June 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is everyone in the world doing karaoke but ME??

I'm a little upset by this. I think I need to come to Japan just to try things out and broaden my repertoire as, for the time being, the only things I ever feel comfortable singing are old soul tunes (especially "Midnight Train to Georgia", but only with Mairin's help).

You forgot to mention that Chuck Hestons' slacks reveal a rather sweet set of moose knuckles (ie. male camel-toe).

To quote my crazy grandma: "I wish you all the best in your results" (that is, good luck with Rusty's visit).

s.

 
At 7:37 p.m., June 07, 2006, Blogger Clara said...

I would like to thank you Rachel for your honourable mention in your blog. I might have a mediocre sense of direction, but at least I have a nice singing voice to compensate.. that maybe no one really knew about. I can be so modest...

 
At 8:57 p.m., June 07, 2006, Blogger Lauren said...

y'all haven't heard kareoke til you've heard me do "son of a preacher man" (speaking of tarantino songs).

being good isn't always easy...
but have fun with rusty anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home