Sunday, October 08, 2006

"Wake up in the morning with a head like ‘what ya done?’, This used to be the life but I don’t need another one"
-Don't Feel Like Dancin', Scissor Sisters

I’ve been pretty busy the past two days, getting settled back into the city, and visiting people.

Friday I headed over to my beloved rainbow Cinemas where I discovered that they no longer had $4.25 matinees. Instead, I had to pay $6.50, which is still a relative bargain, and now the homeless men don’t go into the theatre to sleep. I caught Little Miss Sunshine before walking up to the TIFF offices to meet Dan.

After putting in quality time gluing envelopes for Dan- which officially counts as volunteer work- we walked across the street to Grill Time for Korean BBQ. We walked in and looked at eachother as I said, “Is it just me or is everyone…” Dan said, “I Know.” Everyone was Korean except for one or two people. We took it as a good sign and indulged on the $12.99 all you can eat BBQ where we were served a variety of meats (and ox tongue on request). No heart this time, Eve. They also have my favourite dish, bimibap, which I will definitely return to eat at a later date.

"You got so many colours make a blind man so confused. Then why can’t I keep up when you’re the only thing I lose? "

Halfway into our dinner, everyone in the restaurant turned to look out the large glass window onto the street. And there he was! There was Zanta! I had forgotten about him but he was there, putting on a show to welcome me back to the city. He got up on one of the large recycling/garbage containers and started doing push-ups and flexing his “yes, yes yessss!” muscles.

We wandered over to the theatre to catch The Science of Sleep which was good, weird, and surprisingly funny, although both of us were scratching our heads at the end, I think.

Kate was down from Ottawa for Thanksgiving so she came to pick me up and took a tour of her former home, wandering around my apartment and critiquing things, and complaining about the condition of the apartment in our absences. We decided on The Pickle Barrel, although did not partake in the half yards of beer. Instead, we had terrible service and a poor excuse for egg’s Benedict.


"Don’t feel like dancing, dancing, Even if i find nothin' better to do "

Last night, I went out with a group of Irish. Roommate Yenni and her British friend Ali and I met some other Irish and went to the Laugh Resort for the stand-up comedy. I had no idea who was even on, but the seven of us got some drinks and sat right at the front of the stage. Two of my favourite “Video on Trial” comedians were on, Debra Di Giovanni and Ron Sparks. The headliner was Roman Danylo of crappy Canadian show “Comedy Inc.”, which I’ll admit to never have watching before. I’ve seen him before when I went to a taping of some other lame-ass Comedy Network show whose name I don’t care to remember. According to his bio, his credits also include “Sliders” and “The Outer limits.” Not really hilarious shows.


"Why’d you break down when I’m not in the mood? "

Debra was hilarious and was the emcee for the night. We’re planning on going back in November to see her headlining show. Ron was okay, it seemed to take him a while to warm up. There was another dude who was terrible. It was more fun to watch the audience’s reaction to his bad jokes. Roman was great. I thought he was really funny. At the end of the show, an older comedian came on the stage and they did some improv based on audience selections.

After the show the group of use headed to Fionn MacCool’s for pitchers and drunken rounds of singing “Africa” by Toto and other ‘80s classics before we were asked to leave the bar since we were the last ones left at closing time.


"Rather be home with no one when I can't get down with you "

I’m lazing around today, watching the E! True Hollywood Story on Courtney Love for the second time this week, not really out of interest, but because there is nothing else on. Then it’s time to go home for turkey tomorrow. I’m back in the city Tuesday in time for Scissor Sisters with Lauren, which I’m pumped for.

And because I know Kate hasn’t seen this video:


"I’m gonna be the one who gets it right"

2 Comments:

At 3:06 p.m., October 08, 2006, Blogger Heidi said...

I wet 5 pairs of pants from watching this video.
Love it!
H.

 
At 12:54 p.m., October 10, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

I have Dan to thank for showing me that video months ago, but had completely forgotten about it until we watched it on his iPod, trying to keep from laughing out loud in a quiet movie theatre.

"Tom Skerrit...."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home