Monday, September 25, 2006

"Say do you remember, dancing in September? Never was a cloudy day"
-September, Earth, Wind & Fire

Eve and I spent my last weekend together. Naked. At a Japanese ryokan with an onsen, or hot springs resort.

It was fantastic- both the bath and seeing each other naked. All jokes aside it was a great weekend. As usual, we attracted a lot of attention, especially since the place was overrun with old people. It was really relaxing. There were both indoor and outdoor baths with separate facilities for men and women. Eve even dedicated “I Still haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” to me as a farewell song at the karaoke bar, with much applause form the staff and the table of Japanese guests.

We met up with one of Eve’s students, Yasuko, who had helped us book the ryokan after our stay and went out for lunch and to a Japanese garden to feed carp with her. That’s right- we fed monster carp. It was then time for my last visit to karaoke. I saw my karaoke man one last time, and having successfully made it through the entire U2 catalogue in 5 months, I had only one song left to sing: “Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own.” I didn't get a chance to take a picture of karaoke man because he wasn't at the desk when we left, so Eve has promised to get one or me and/or tell him I love him.

With karaoke finished, Eve and I returned to spend one final evening together watching The Amazing Race and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It was my last night in Fukushima so I took in my surroundings- the dude who takes his nightly bath outside, the dog that barks at teh sunrise at 430am, the woman who shuffles along without picking up her feet, Eve's horrible alarm clock ring...

We’re off to Tokyo in few hours to hang out in Roppongi tonight for some clubbing and take in some last minute activities tomorrow like seeing a kabuki play and having one last traditional Japanese experience like eating at Tokyo’s only Greek restaurant. I'm sure to meet up with more strange and unusal characters for my last night out clubbing. I took my bike mustang Sally out for a last spin around town and around the mountian. A kid kicked a soccer ball at me. I woul dhave told him off had I spoken the language or shaken my fist at him had I been able to let go of the handle bars on my bike.
I am taking Eve here, to an izakaya called The Lock- Up for her birthday. It’s a monster prison-themed restaurant. Complete with tables in holding cells and waitresses in prison guard uniforms. I will have to post all those pictures once I’m back at home. I take off Wednesday night from Tokyo and arrive in Toronto...Wednesday night. Long flight. I'm not crazy about flying in the first place, but I hate flying at night. I just have to look at it as though I get an extra dya in Tokyo and I fly into daylight...before flying back into night. My body is going to be so confused. I just can't wait to get to Vancouver airport to get me some Tim Horton's and a magazine to read, since English magazines are about $15 here.

Our internet connection is sketchy today so I can’t upload pictures, or write anything thought-provoking or reflective today. I have a more detailed entry on my travelblog anyway.

So that’s all from Japan. Next time you hear form me, I’ll be settled back in Canada, being fed and taken care of by my parents.


"Remember how the stars stole the night away"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home