Wednesday, August 23, 2006

"Everything I always wanted Is right there, but soon it won't be "
-Lights, Editors

I'm so homesick!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm not at all really. Except for movies. Specifically, the Toronto Film Festival. Watch me as I weep tears of sorrow. I had been putting off reading anything about the Fest, save for the random bits of information Dan provided me with. Today I decided to take a look at the list of offerings. Maybe it was the insane heat that made me do it. But now, I present to you a list I am crying over composed of movies I want to see:

The Wind that Shakes the Barley- We all know how I feel about the Irish and Cillian
Murphy. I knew this one would be at the festival since it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes. I've been waiting a long time to see this, as has Prof. George McKnight who is an expert on director Ken Loach. I'll just have to take consolation in the Irish fest that was last year's Breakfast on Pluto premiere which had 4 of my favourite Irishmen in the room: Bono, Cillian Murphy, Liam Neeson, and Neil Jordan. Sigh. At least it's not U2 week again...and you know if it was I just would have cancelled this whole trip.

Side note: I've seen this movie since I wrote this, so all is well. I've basically rendered TIFF useless!!! Too bad I still thrive off of celeb sightings...Hmmm Paris Hilton is in Tokyo this week and I do have rotten potatoes that beg to be thrown....



Babel- I hear the movie isn't great but with Gael Garcia Bernal, Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and some of it is set in Japan, I would have gone to see it. Now I have to wait around with the rest of the masses until it comes out in wide release.

Volver- since I love Almodovar's films.

All the King's Men- my distaste fo rMark Ruffalo aside, I have a girl crush on Kate Winslet. And let's not forget about Jude Law who is also in...

Breaking and Entering- the movie looks boring, but I like Anthony Minghella movies.

I think this one takes the cake in upsetting me the most. The others, I could do without and I've had 6 months to realize that I'd miss the Irish film:

Velvet Goldmine as part of the dialogues with directors series where the director shows up to talk about thier film. This is one of my favourite movies what with the Ewan McGregor, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Christian Bale and 70's glamrock with Bowie undertones. I also applaud anyone who made both Far from Heaven and a biopic on Karen Carpenter starring Barbies (Superstar... of which you can find really poor bootleg versions online since the movie was banned by Matell). I'll just go back to consoling myself with the Ewan McGregor "Long Way Round" TV series...

Somebody, please go see these films for me....

So sad. Just think, if Peter Sarsgaard were to show up this year (he won't), he would have no one to wink at. How sad for him.
"I've got a million things to say "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home