Thursday, September 07, 2006

“Our labour day Has come and gone”
-Red Hill Mining Town, U2

I made it back from Hong Kong without any cuts, scrapes, bruises, muggings, or trips and falls. To sum it up right here and now: the food was awful, HK has one of the best skylines of any city, the receptionist at my hostel was quite surly, and thank God I listened to Dan when he told me not to stay in Kowloon.

Interesting notes: I was asked at the airport if I had come in contact with any squirrels in HK. Not hearing the woman correctly, I said, “What? Squares? Like people?” I thought maybe they were still using 1950s slang. Either way, the answer was no. Unfortunately.

No interesting people to speak of and no non-sensical slogans. They have the English down pat what with years of colonial rule and all. Met a nice pair of Aussies as we had practically a private tour of Shenzhen in mainland China, but didn’t care to really factor any other people in my plans, with my disdain for strangers and all. I’ll have more to say later when I’m not thinking about what to eat for dinner and will post some pictures and more detail son my travel blog.

“The lines are long, There's no going back”

I had to search yahoo for info on Meatloaf for his discography (some of you will get that email and understand eventually). I just wanted to point out that the top listing that comes up is
"
The Meatloaf Pages: Offers a compilation of recipes designed for meatloaf enthusiasts. "

That and when I mistakenly mis-typed “meat oaf” due to a stick “L” key, I got a
meatloaf anagrams website featuring such gems as “Flea Moat” and “Afloat Me.” Both appropriate when discussing the man or the meat. Or the oaf as it were. All three can actullay refer to the same thing.

“I can lose myself, You I can't live without”

Since Labour Day has come and gone (hence the clever lyrics of the day), this is the first time I actually missed going back to school. Last year I was too busy with work and the impending frenzy and chaos that was Film Festival and U2 week. This year I’m all about lazing around town in Fukushima and still trying to figure out how to get all of my worldly possessions home. But at the same time, I enjoy the concept of school more than physically attending school and preparing essays and whatnot. I think what I really miss is the Dance Cave and donuts, to be enjoyed simultaneously.

I’m down to less than 3 weeks in Japan. Eve and I are planning out my final days here including visiting an onsen (hopefully one that lets us wear bathing suits), the rock and roll wax museum, a kabuki play, and a stay at a capsule hotel. I also have to meet the local Irish lad in town whom Eve met while I was away. And you know how I feel about the Irish.

“We wait all day, For night to come”

Top 5 Songs of the Afternoon While Attending to a Full email Inbox:

Repeated Offender- Rifles
Check the O.R.- Organized Rhyme
Over My Shoulder- I Am Kloot
Can’t Get You Out of My Head- Kylie Minogue
Millennium- Robbie Williams

“You're all that's left to hold on to”

2 Comments:

At 8:08 a.m., September 07, 2006, Blogger Heidi said...

Welcome back! I missed reading your updates. I won´t update for a lil while since I´m going to Morocco tomorrow, but I´ll promise to delive the goods again on Monday. Hope that your last month in Japan will be a blast...oh, and slap eve a hearty hello on the butt for me :)
miss you, until later H.

 
At 12:12 p.m., September 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it back in one piece. And let me know if the Irish lad has any hot friends. You can live out your "back to school" fantasies through me, as I sit writing to you during the first class of our Constitutional Law II course, in case you didn't get enough in Constitutional Law I last year. WHOOHOO!!!!
Should be in T.O. in late September/Early October but I'll let you know more later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home