Thursday, September 28, 2006

"High, high is the sky, Low, low as it goes"
-Don Gon Do it, The Rapture

Well, I've left the land of monkey baseball, meat-loafed shaped TV mascots (the actual meat, not the man...although think of the possibilities of that duo!) and extreme sports such as rock/paper/scissors where the winner smacks the loser with a large paper fan across the face ... and I am back in the land of maple syrup and donuts- neither of which I have ingested yet.

My last few days in Japan are memorable, although for the wrong reasons:

- Eve and I drank absinthe. Large glasses of absinthe. While eating soy beans. Prompting us to vomit all night. And all the next morning for Eve as well. I fared much much better than she did, managing to spew on cue in the sink instead of on a hotel wall, floor, in my own shoes, Starbucks, and a public bathroom. (sorry girl).

- We basically prostituted ourselves for a night of free drinks at a bar called Motown. A 42 year old high roller plied us with beer, wine, and G&T's for me but promised "no sex, just friends." We were like status symbols to him- just to be seen with. I was the "sexy one" apparently. And I dance, "sexy."

- I took Eve out to The Lock-Up which was like eating in a haunted house complete with monsters. One of whom was wearing a bra and a mask that looked like it was made of melted skin, Texas Chainsaw style.

- I went all the way to the kabuki theatre in a thunderstorm, only to arrive and have it be closed. As an alternative, I went to the science museum where everything was in Japanese. But you know me and my love of science...language is no obstacle!
(In reality, it was only $5 and it was shelterd fromthe thunderstorm. I was basically squatting there like the homeless)

- The train to the airport didn't take credit cards, and being cashless due to spending my final $5 on teh science center (as I now shake my fist to science..."Up with Creationism!"), spent 30 minutes looking for an international ATM, and having to catch a later train.

-Arriving at the airport 2hrs and 45 min before my flight, I find out it's cancelled citing "crew rest." At first, the counter staff just looked at me blankly when I said, "Okay, now what?" They were also not prepared for the fact that not only was my flight ot Vancouver cancelled, but that I had to continue on to Toronto. It being 4:45pm and the only direct flight to Toronto was leaving at 5:15, I was told I wouldn't make it and that they would put me up in a hotel. After explaining the hotel, telling me what flight I would be on the following day, etc. I was told that I could run to try to make the 5:15 flight. It was now 5pm.

They hauled all my luggage and tagged it, not weighing any of it and checking all 3 pieces so I didn't have to run with a carry-on bag on wheels, shoved my boarding pass and luggage claim tickets in my hand, and told me to run while saying that my luggage probably wouldn't make it. And run I did. With a 30 lb backpack on my back while wearing 3 shirts and a jacket with the counter agent. Pushing past people at security I threw my stuff on the x-ray- not even sure if I could still bring things like perfume and deodorant on board- passed by, and ran through customs, hurling my passport at the guard. It was then a mad dash all the way to the gate, which of course, would have to be the very last gate in the terminal.

It was the distance of running 3 blocks, but filled with obstacles of people and luggage. Yelling "SUMIMASEN!!!!!!" I made it half way there and almost died- not being a prime runner with bad knees, sweating to death in 4 layers of clothing, with 30lbs on my back and another 10lbs in a purse around my neck, the counter agent took my purse and sweatshirt and we kept running. She was trying to lift my bag off my back to run with me. I was panting. half way, the agent fromt eh gate met us and the 3 of us ran together as my boarding pass and passport were passed off. But I totally did it, "Amazing Race" style.

I made it on the plane, panting, at 5:10pm. Luckily, I also had a prime seat on the wing with a window next to a 24 year old girl in an identical striped shirt, prompting the flight attendant to say, "Are you travelling together as twins?"

I had no idea what time the flight even arrived in Toronto (6 hours earlier than my connection would have landed me). My parents had no idea. I made a $30 satellite phone call to their answering machine from over the Bering Sea, and prayed that they would be there when I landed.

All worked out well as both my luggage and my mom were waiting for me after the 12 hour flight.

"Words are catching, Ripping hypnotize"

Having been in the country 3 huors, I arrived home to find out that Alliance Atlantis had called inquiring about a job I had applied for. Since I applied to every open job, I have no idea which one it is. I'll find out tomorrow when they return my call. So fingers crossed, maybe I'll have a job sooner rather than later. A job that comes with perks like free movie passes which I can share with you, the people.

I'm also going to take the Film Marketing course at Ryerson with Eve in the winter.

And, both The Rapture and the Fiery Furnaces are playing in TO next month- separately, but each show is only $18- anyone interested? Lauren? You're my new concert buddy.

The last CD I bought in Japan was The Rapture, which I enjoy, despite it's mixed reviews.

Thouroughly jetlagged, I'm wide awake at 3am, to raid the refridgerator for chicken wings and feta cheese.

And once I have my computer set up again when I am back in my apartment nest week, I'll add the pictures.

"Why'd you say those things?"

4 Comments:

At 5:47 a.m., September 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back.

i laugh, not at you almost missing your flight, but at the thought of you running.

ha!

ps> the rapture are disappointing at best (Curiosa, Eve can vouch), but if you like their new album, go for it.

 
At 7:41 a.m., September 28, 2006, Blogger Heidi said...

Welcome back, EH?
Hopefully Alliance Atlantis will be able to offer you a decent job, in the very least :) Glad to hear that you made it back in one piece...keep on bloggin´!

 
At 10:39 a.m., September 28, 2006, Blogger Rachel said...

I laugh at myself running. my parents reaction: "You??? Ran for a flight? I don't think we've ever even seen you run anywhere."

 
At 2:53 p.m., September 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being someone who only runs when being chased, I sympathize with Rachel's story. However, having lived with said Rachel, it makes complete sense that her return trip wouldn't be relaxing and stress free. This IS Rachel we are talking about, after all. Glad to hear you made it back in one piece, and I'll hopefully see you at the old apartment, 42 steps from the road, at Turkey time....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home