Tuesday, August 30, 2005

“It’s been a long, hot summer, let’s get undercover, Don’t try to hard to think, Don’t think at all”
-Staring at the Sun, U2

Let us not lament the impending end of “summer”! (especially since technically summer ends of September and I don’t have to cut my fun short and return to school, but in the sake of tradition, I will lament privately.)

Instead, let the countdown to the Toronto International Film Festival begin!

“I’m not just deaf and dumb, I’m staring at the sun”

Picked up my pass & coupon order book today, so with my fingers crossed, here’s what I picked for my first choices:

Brokeback Mountain- I so want to see this, not because I have a slight crush on Jake Gyllenhaal, or I hope his sister Maggie is in attendance with the (current) man o’ my dreams, Peter Sarsgaard, but I also enjoy Ang Lee. Who doesn’t love a good gay cowboy movie?

Breakfast on Pluto- I am a Neil Jordan fan, a Liam Neeson fan, a Stephen Rea fan, and basically an all-things Irish fan. Gavin Friday, who is Bono’s best friend is in the movie and due to the fact that it’s also U2 week in the city, I am hoping that Bono will grace the theatre with his presence for the premiere. Either way, I’ll still enjoy it (I actually own a Gavin Friday CD).

Elizabethtown
- Sure I can wait a month until it opens wide in theatres, but why not fill up my Sunday afternoon with a film?

Everything is Illuminated- I love Live Schreiber and he directed this. And Elijah Wood isn’t a bad draw either. I almost bought this book the other day but decided to get The Constant Gardener instead…an no, I don’t only read books that have/will become movies.

The Cabin Movie; Hostel- I just like movies that look creepy. Especially when one is being screened at 9am on a Saturday morning.

Also on the list: Thumbsucker, Neverwas, Winter Passing, Thank You for Smoking.


Runner-up, 2nd choices: Romance & Cigarettes, Tideland, Shopgirl, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Slow Burn, Bee Season, Harsh Times, Whole New Thing. And Corpse Bride.

Corpse Bride may come as a surprise for being on my second choice list, but it was between that and Breakfast on Pluto, which I chose for previously stated reasons. I love Tim Burton. All of him! But CB will be out everywhere relatively soon and I’m sure it’s the more in demand film anyway.

“Waves that leave me out of reach, breaking on your back like a beach”

I’ve decided to stay away from movies that we’ve funded at the CTF, because I can borrow those at any time. Like- Where the Truth Lies, L’Enfer, Water, The Life and Hard Times of Guy Teriffico, to name a few.


“I’m nearly great but there’s something missing”



But that’s all for now. I’ll know what I’m stuck with soon enough…if only I didn’t have a job and I could watch movies all day (so many good things showing pre-5pm!). But I love my job too much to quit.

OVERRATED: Volunteers. So you work for free. I don’t.
UNDERRATED: 9 to 5ers. Okay, not really. But sometimes there are movies I’d like to see that are on during normal working hours. Not to mention “Montel”….

“I’m not the only one who’s happy to go blind”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home